[Success] AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi) | MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT | Mac OS X Catalina 10.15

rthpjm

11 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

EDIT Dec 30th 2020

It's been a whole year since building this machine. I thought I would update this post and explain where my system is at now.

From the hardware front, I have simply added another NVMe SSD, this one is a Sabrent Rocket Q4 proving 2Tb of storage. I have also added an addressable LED strip to extend the RGB capabilities beyond those provided on the motherboard (which has 5 zones of LEDs already, RGB_HEADER1, RGB_HEADER2, and three pairs of LEDs at the motherboard edge next to the SATA connectors)

From the software front, I am now using OpenCore release 0.6.5 which is not yet officially released at the time of writing. I spotted a bug with the Custom Memory code, reported the bug, and was happy to find the Acidanthera team accepted the bug report and rolled the fix into 0.6.5. I've got the "nightly build" on my platform at the moment, but I'll move to the released version of 0.6.5 when it is officially released. I am also happily using Mac OS Big Sur (11.1). I also switch the SMBIOS profile (from a MacPro 6,1) to a MacPro 7,1 because my Ryzentosh matches the capabilities and layouts of that Apple platform better (in my opinion).

Some notable effects of the software changes include:

• There is no need to use the whatevergreen KEXT any more, because the combination of SMBIOS profile for a MacPro 7,1 and Big Sur means that my AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT is natively supported.
  • Sleep now works. It would appear that Mac OS Big Sur is much more forgiving in this respect (a part of me wonders if Pike R. Alpha might have assisted here. Those of you that ever worked with MacPro 1,1 and 1,2 models to keep upgrading them will know Pike's open community work).
  • I now have Intel Wifi working. I choose to use the AirportItlwm KEXT rather than the itlwm KEXT
  • From the same team that provides Intel Wifi, I also choose to use their Bluetooth firmware KEXT
  • There is no need to use any of the USB mapping, or limits, or workarounds. This build never exceeds the 15 ports per-controller limit assumed by Mac OS X.

I notice some users posted in this thread asking about BIOS settings. Firstly let me apologise to those users, I do not visit this forum thread very often, hence the lack of replies.

The only issue that I have encountered is the Serial Port within the BIOS. If the Serial Port is ENABLED it will often prevent OpenCore/Mac OS from booting.

Other than that, follow the Guides, specifically the AMD sections for Ryzen 17h.

END EDIT Dec 30th 2020

I finally jumped camps from supporting the classic Mac Pro 1,1 and 2,1 (my 1,1 is now retired) and decided to build a Hackintosh Ryzentosh :)

Here are my specs for reference...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X

Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite BLE2K8G4D40BEEAK 4000 MHz, DDR4 32Gb (4 x 8GB)

Graphics: MSI Radeon RX5700 XT

Main drive: Corsair MP600 Force Series, 1 TB High-speed Gen 4 PCIe x4, NVMe M.2 SSD

Cooler: CoolerMaster Master Liquid ML240L RGB AIO

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Silent 650W 80 Plus Platinum Modular

Case: Lian-Li PC-O11 Air RGB - Black

I choose to use OpenCore as my boot loader (at the time of writing version 0.5.5)

I have the build happily running Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.3 (at the time of writing)

I used the vanilla guides, most notably https://khronokernel-2.gitbook.io/opencore-vanilla-desktop-guide/amd-config.plist/amd-config

The documentation has been consolidated at the dortania.github.io site. The guides start here.

Almost everything works with my EFI folder configured as:

1399956830_Screenshot2020-02-25at23_35_03.png.5e64c9f56374076def6af0d5a6743588.png

The ACPI > SSDT-EC.aml file is used handle the embedded controller device EC0

The Drivers are used by the UEFI pre-boot environment. FwRuntimeServices.efi is a key component for OpenCore

The KEXTs:

• Lilu is an extension manager, it provides a common framework for other KEXTs - it should always be loaded first in the list (array) in the config.plist
  • AppleALC gets audio working (layout id 1)
  • AppleMCEReporterDisabler fixes a hang during the boot sequence
  • RealtekRTL8111 enables the on-board gigabit Ethernet port
  • VirtualSMC emulates the Apple specific info
  • WhateverGreen provides video and audio across HDMI and Display Ports (not required with the combination of SMBIOS profile of MacPro 7,1 and Mac OS 11 Big Sur, it now natively supports this graphics family)

The Tools are there for convenience, but I don't load them in the config.plist

What does not work:

• Sleep (Big Sur seems to have made sleep work)
  • The on-board Intel WiFi controller - I intend to work on this when I get some spare time (see update above)
  • Parallels Desktop. I have version 14 but my pre-existing VMs crash on start up. (I've had some success with VitualBox).

What does work:

• USB 3
  • USB 2
  • Bluetooth
  • Mac OS X including iCloud and Handoff

I'm super happy with my build.

Screenshot 2020-02-25 at 23.24.43.png

Screenshot 2020-02-25 at 23.26.56.png

Edited by rthpjm
One year round up
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Awesome, I did my Hackintosh/Ryzentosh at around the same time with very similar hardware. Any updates or hiccups within the month?
Coming from distro-hopping, these are my thoughts:

+ XCode, feels nice using good hardware for developing in Swift
++ Scaling, seamless across 4K main, 9:21 vertical ultrawide

++ Works out-of-the-box, no need to configure drivers
++ Native performance on Productivity Apps, hits the spot when OSX apps run better than my MBP-15 i7-8750H

- Choppy bluetooth
- Benchmarking, OpenCL/Metal Geekbench 5 scores are about 10000 less
-- Gaming (No Vulkan support, wine support extremely limited even when built from source)
-- No OC or fan control options, my 5700XT runs really loud starting at 60C (would be nice to configure a fan curve)
- Update support, I was on Catalina Public beta when making the image on my Mac, but I guess this wasn't that big of a deal

I also used vanilla methods, but I'm not sure how much can be improved since most of the negs are specific to my use case. Out of curiosity, does your Ryzentosh make good use of the computing power of your 5700XT?
For my daily driver (w/o dual-boot), main dealbreakers were gaming (no Vulkan, Metal isn't widely adopted) and developing (GPU-accelerated frameworks aren't prioritized on Darwin, like ROCm). But I can see how users can get [great?] performance from CAD and multimedia uses.

On 2/26/2020 at 12:56 AM, rthpjm said:

Hello everyone,

I finally jumped camps from supporting the classic Mac Pro 1,1 and 2,1 (my 1,1 is now retired) and decided to build a Hackintosh Ryzentosh :)

Here are my specs for reference...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X

Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite BLE2K8G4D40BEEAK 4000 MHz, DDR4 32Gb (4 x 8GB)

Graphics: MSI Radeon RX5700 XT

Main drive: Corsair MP600 Force Series, 1 TB High-speed Gen 4 PCIe x4, NVMe M.2 SSD

Cooler: CoolerMaster Master Liquid ML240L RGB AIO

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Silent 650W 80 Plus Platinum Modular

Case: Lian-Li PC-O11 Air RGB - Black

I choose to use OpenCore as my boot loader (at the time of writing version 0.5.5)

I have the build happily running Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.3 (at the time of writing)

I used the vanilla guides, most notably https://khronokernel-2.gitbook.io/opencore-vanilla-desktop-guide/amd-config.plist/amd-config

Almost everything works with my EFI folder configured as:

1399956830_Screenshot2020-02-25at23_35_03.png.5e64c9f56374076def6af0d5a6743588.png

The ACPI > SSDT-EC.aml file is used handle the embedded controller device EC0

The Drivers are used by the UEFI pre-boot environment. FwRuntimeServices.efi is a key component for OpenCore

The KEXTs:

• Lilu is an extension manager, it provides a common framework for other KEXTs - it should always be loaded first in the list (array) in the config.plist
  • AppleALC gets audio working (layout id 1)
  • AppleMCEReporterDisabler fixes a hang during the boot sequence
  • RealtekRTL8111 enables the on-board gigabit Ethernet port
  • VirtualSMC emulates the Apple specific info
  • WhateverGreen provides video and audio across HDMI and Display Ports

The Tools are there for convenience, but I don't load them in the config.plist

What does not work:

• Sleep
  • The on-board Intel WiFi controller - I intend to work on this when I get some spare time
  • Parallels Desktop. I have version 14 but my pre-existing VMs crash on start up. (I've had some success with VitualBox).

What does work:

• USB 3
  • USB 2
  • Bluetooth
  • Mac OS X including iCloud and Handoff

I'm super happy with my build.

Screenshot 2020-02-25 at 23.24.43.png

Screenshot 2020-02-25 at 23.26.56.png

hi what version of catalina is? Can you share your efi folder? Thanks

Edited by genge

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2020 at 1:50 AM, genge said:

hi what version of catalina is? Can you share your efi folder?

I'm running 10.15.4 with OpenCore version 0.5.6.

You have to be aware that every update requires some work. Both Mac OS X updates and OpenCore updates have an impact. Because of this, my advice is to put the effort in to understanding the configuration you need for your hardware. It's very easy to ask someone for their full EFI folder (and yes I will attach it), but taking this shortcut will gratify you in the short term because your system will/should work, however in the longer term you WILL get stuck again after an update.

It is VERY worth your time to understand what each element is doing and how they all interact. Trial and error is a very direct way of reinforcing your learning.

My advice is to make sure you have two physical disks/SSDs, and make each disk bootable with a working copy of OpenCore and distinct Mac OS X. Doing this means you should never "brick" your system.

Making changes to just one OpenCore or Mac OS X at a time. If something breaks you can boot from the other set to help you figure out what has broken and then fix it.

For example: I'm about to upgrade to OpenCore 0.5.7 - There have been some significant changes with this release, therefore I will need to assess the impact on my config.plist. If I'm lucky, upgrading to 0.5.7 will continue to boot using the unmodified config.plist. I've read the 0.5.7 release notes and there are significant changes to the memory handling/fixing, therefore I will ensure that I have a copy of OC 0.5.6 on another bootable disk, because I will need to make changes to the config.plist (even if it does continue to boot unmodified initially).

My experience is that:

• Upgrading OC needs work each time - it's best to start with the sample config.plist and copy over the settings from your previous config, bearing in mind the release notes and the depreciated/new features.
  • Upgrading Mac OS X can also have an impact. The sub-project of AMD Patches will often be updated as issues are uncovered, understood, and then fixed.
  • The vanilla guides are good and updated, Intel, AMD

I have attached my EFI folder, BUT I HAVE REDACTED MY SERIAL NUMBER AND UUID from the config.plist. You will need to follow the instructions to generate your own...

Open the config.plist file in your favourite plist editor. Search for the text REDACTED...

<key>Generic</key>
        <dict>
            <key>AdviseWindows</key>
            <false/>
            <key>MLB</key>
            <string>REDACTED</string>
            <key>ROM</key>
            <data>ESIzAAAA</data>
            <key>SpoofVendor</key>
            <true/>
            <key>SystemProductName</key>
            <string>MacPro6,1</string>
            <key>SystemSerialNumber</key>
            <key>SystemUUID</key>
        </dict>

EFI.zip

Edited by rthpjm

@rthpjm

Using the exact Motherboard. Did you need to make any Bios settings changes? I can't seem to get this thing going. I haven't used your EFI, is the folder still setup for 0.5.6, were you able to get up and going with 0.5.7? Your assistance is appreciated. 

• Confused 1

• 2 months later...

Got this exact same set up, and I can't get OpenCore to list the devices.  Any chance you can copy your BOOT/OC directories and upload them here as a ZIP file?  This config _absolutely_ does not work, and my motherboard and CPU are identical to yours.

• 1 month later...
On 4/8/2020 at 6:30 PM, rthpjm said:

I'm running 10.15.4 with OpenCore version 0.5.6.

You have to be aware that every update requires some work. Both Mac OS X updates and OpenCore updates have an impact. Because of this, my advice is to put the effort in to understanding the configuration you need for your hardware. It's very easy to ask someone for their full EFI folder (and yes I will attach it), but taking this shortcut will gratify you in the short term because your system will/should work, however in the longer term you WILL get stuck again after an update.

It is VERY worth your time to understand what each element is doing and how they all interact. Trial and error is a very direct way of reinforcing your learning.

My advice is to make sure you have two physical disks/SSDs, and make each disk bootable with a working copy of OpenCore and distinct Mac OS X. Doing this means you should never "brick" your system.

Making changes to just one OpenCore or Mac OS X at a time. If something breaks you can boot from the other set to help you figure out what has broken and then fix it.

For example: I'm about to upgrade to OpenCore 0.5.7 - There have been some significant changes with this release, therefore I will need to assess the impact on my config.plist. If I'm lucky, upgrading to 0.5.7 will continue to boot using the unmodified config.plist. I've read the 0.5.7 release notes and there are significant changes to the memory handling/fixing, therefore I will ensure that I have a copy of OC 0.5.6 on another bootable disk, because I will need to make changes to the config.plist (even if it does continue to boot unmodified initially).

My experience is that:

• Upgrading OC needs work each time - it's best to start with the sample config.plist and copy over the settings from your previous config, bearing in mind the release notes and the depreciated/new features.
  • Upgrading Mac OS X can also have an impact. The sub-project of AMD Patches will often be updated as issues are uncovered, understood, and then fixed.
  • The vanilla guides are good and updated, Intel, AMD

I have attached my EFI folder, BUT I HAVE REDACTED MY SERIAL NUMBER AND UUID from the config.plist. You will need to follow the instructions to generate your own...

Open the config.plist file in your favourite plist editor. Search for the text REDACTED...

<key>Generic</key>
        <dict>
            <key>AdviseWindows</key>
            <false/>
            <key>MLB</key>
            <key>ROM</key>
            <data>ESIzAAAA</data>
            <key>SpoofVendor</key>
            <true/>
            <key>SystemProductName</key>
            <string>MacPro6,1</string>
            <key>SystemSerialNumber</key>
            <key>SystemUUID</key>
        </dict>

EFI.zip

Hello, I'm disturbed about the config.list for a long time. I'm so happy when finding that you have the same devices with me. However, your EFI url can't be downloaded now. Could you please reupload your latest EFI?  Then, I really don't know where  the issues are on. Thanks for your help!

• 1 month later...
On 6/27/2020 at 9:05 AM, BitgateMobile said:

Got this exact same set up, and I can't get OpenCore to list the devices.  Any chance you can copy your BOOT/OC directories and upload them here as a ZIP file?  This config _absolutely_ does not work, and my motherboard and CPU are identical to yours.

Same here, for some reason they did not work for me at all. Right after boot, nothing. I'm a total newbie so might also be my fault.

BIOS settings interests me too. Thanks! :)

• 3 months later...

I needed to go through the new user lounge process, due to the changes implemented on the forum. I was wondering why I couldn’t reply to a thread I started! :P

BIOS changes? For those people asking, I refer you all to the excellent documentation at the dortania.github.io site. The link takes you to the getting started guides. Please read through them... When you get to the configs section, read the AMD Desktop config.plist for the Ryzen and Threadripper (17h and 19h). At the end of this section is a heading for AMD BIOS settings.

For my build, I found the five items under the disable heading are most important - especially the Serial Port disable. I was not able to install/boot Mac OS X 11 Big Sur if the Serial Port was enabled. 

On 8/16/2020 at 2:31 AM, Jackokie said:

Hello, I'm disturbed about the config.list for a long time. I'm so happy when finding that you have the same devices with me. However, your EFI url can't be downloaded now. Could you please reupload your latest EFI?  Then, I really don't know where  the issues are on. Thanks for your help!

The download still works for me. To download I believe you must be logged in (and maybe you need to go through the new user lounge sequence... Read the rules)

On 6/27/2020 at 7:05 AM, BitgateMobile said:

If you are struggling to get your disks listed, be patient. My system takes 10-20 seconds to move from the BIOS splash screen to presenting the boot disks options. If you are still struggling, check the config.plist, pay particular attention to the ScanPolicy in the Misc, Security section