Power Management Issue?

J Lamp

1 post in this topic

I'm running an old Gigabyte x79-ud5 with an i7-4960 and Mojave. I'm also using an RX-580, a UAD DSP card, various IO (USB 3, Firewire.)

I have an Areca raid card in the box, which reports an under voltage on the 3.3v rail (3.002V, out of spec) when I'm running Mojave. Interestingly, when I boot into Windows 10 the rail from the same Areca card reads 3.184V, which is within specs. I have the occasional KP at boot on Mojave (may be related,) which I suspect are related to the Graphics Card, but I'm unsure. They don't happen very often, the rig is 100% stable when it's running. CPU speed stepping is working fine.

Checking the power supply (a big 1200 watt beast) the 3.3V rail is also fine. I used a multimeter and checked while the machine was running.

There's nothing plugged into the USB card or the Firewire card (both of which have their respective power connectors hooked up) that could be pulling down the 3.3 rail. Either way, if it was hardware I would expect to see the same issue under Windows.

This may have been going on for some time. I just recently enabled email status notifications from the raid card and my inbox is filling up.

As this appears to be OS X related, can anyone offer any advice on where to look?