USB 3.0 & eSATA ports won't hot-plug

RePete222

4 posts in this topic

After installing Mojave 10.14.6 on my rig, I am unable to hot-plug USB 3.0 or eSATA connected drives.  The ports do work if the drive is powered up and connected at boot time, but won't work if I attempt to hot-plug the drive into a running system.  The USB 2.0 ports will hot-plug with no problems (other than having to settle for USB 2.0 speeds).  Also, hot-plugging does work under Windows 10 for both USB 3.0 and eSATA ports, so it should theoretically be possible to get it working under Mojave.  Has anyone succeeded in getting hot-plugging to work for USB 3.0 and/or eSATA?

Thanks

I assume you've applied the Hot-Plug patch to the config.plist as well as enabling Hot-Plug for the designated port or ports in the BiOS, on my gigabyte Z390 my eSATA Port is working just fine. If needed here is the Hot-Plug Patch:- com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort  Find 40600200 Replace 00000000. Good luck.

On 1/14/2020 at 6:39 PM, eSaF said:

I assume you've applied the Hot-Plug patch to the config.plist as well as enabling Hot-Plug for the designated port or ports in the BiOS, on my gigabyte Z390 my eSATA Port is working just fine. If needed here is the Hot-Plug Patch:- com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort  Find 40600200 Replace 00000000. Good luck.

You da man! :thumbsup_anim: Thanks!

I did indeed get eSATA to hot-plug after applying the AppleAHCIPort patch.  So at least one out of two high-speed interfaces is hot-pluggable now.  Will have to check BIOS settings for USB3 ports; don't recall any that make mention of hot-plug enablement.  I did try adding a couple of USB patches available in the Clover Configurator menu; those don't seem to help.