ASUS F551CA-SX051H post-installation issues, please help!

Thelothian

4 posts in this topic

Hi all

I've a unused laptop and I've decided to give it a second life, so I decided to make it a Hackintosh. image.gif.2c452d50a38ad6e6dd951a9ffe6ee859.gif
The laptop is an ASUS F551CA-SX051H (i3-3217U) with 4 Gb of RAM and a 256Gb SSD (replacing the original 500 Gb mech drive).
I've installed El Capitan (and not a more newer OS) because there's no way to get the ethernet or wifi active during install (from Sierra the installer needs to call Apple before starting the installation process). I've no problem to use 10.11... it's always a 4 Gb only device. image.gif.d632e20a22e570ec54d09d8148913ea4.gif
Now the OS is installed and working well, fast and smooth, but I've three important issues and, before starting googling and trying various fixes, I writing this to you searching for solutions and/or ideas...

Disclaimer: this is my FIRST hackintosh installation so excuse me for any "noob questions and replies" that I'll probably give you...

Issues:

1. I can't boot directly from the internal SSD. Now the PC is booting using an USB stick with clover installed (the same I've used to launch installer). Without this pen, the PC opens the BIOS settings screen.

2. No wifi. No Ethernet. I've tried some kexts even for loading the ethernet device only, but non is working. No ethernet, no wifi. I've read around the web that this laptop uses a chipset not supported by any kexts... but I'm here to get "official" confirms about that. If there's no driver available I can buy a wifi stick but i need to know, in this case, which product is suitable for a hackintosh.

3. no audio. I've tried some kexts again (Voodoo and AppleHDA) but... with Voodoo nothing happens. With AppleHDA the audio goes active during bootup with a terrible Larsen effect (it seems to keep the mic open, looping with the speakers...) and if I try to play something (like error messages from Control Panel) nothing happens except for the loud and fixed "larsen" hiss.

Ok, that's all... Do you some advices or solutions? Any idea or suggestion?
Thanks a lot.

15 hours ago, Hervé said:

If you were unable to identify your hardware for some odd reason, since you've already installed OS X, run IORegistryExplorer app (you'll have to download it on a USB key), save the output, compress it and post it here. We can then have a look.

Ok... Uploaded here.

I can't see why you would not be able to install Clover on your SSD and boot direclty off it. Of course, you have to properly install Clover, especially according to your UEFI or Legacy BIOS mode... If you use the usual Clover installation packages, you can't normally go wrong in that respect. You'll have to specify which version of Clover you're trying to install and what the options you select.

Fixed. It was a bad BIOS/UEFI config. Now it boots with internal UEFI partition and pop-ups Clover boot screen.

NB: you're quite mistaken about Sierra, no OS X or macOS version requires to communicate with Apple web site for installation; no idea where you got that from but it's totally incorrect.

Before trying with El Capitan I've tried High Sierra and just after the Language Selection, the installer gives me "recovery servers could not be contacted". Naturally, without a working Ethernet or wifi, I can't do anything.
I've read that this procedure is present during install starting from Sierra, so I decided to install 10.11 (as I read in a guide).

Also note that Ivy Bridge laptops can run current Catalina version and that's what you should be targeting. El Capitan is getting a little long in the tooth these days. But you can grab Catalina once you've got LAN or wireless working in EC.

I'll give a try... as you written, if I can get LAN or WiFi useable with El Capitan, I'll try Catalina. But... before buying a WiFi usb stick, I'm waiting for your IORegistry's output analysis...

Thank you!

MacBook Air.zip

Finally I can get the audio working. It was a VoodooHDA kext installed on CLOVER bootloader that conflicts with AppleHDA on Mac partition. 
Instead, I can't get working Ethernet and wifi... Ethernet isn't a real problem because I've no cables at home, therefore I'll buy a wifi usb stick to bring this laptop online.

If I'll have success with this idea, I'll try with Catalina. :-)

Thank you Hervé for your suggestions... 

Edited by Thelothian

1 hour ago, Hervé said:

Don't quote every single message you directly reply to! Totally unnecessary... Missed the directly reply box at bottpm of pages or what???

Sorry, you're right. Fixed! :-D

1 hour ago, Hervé said:

Of course VoodooHDA conflicts with AppleHDA; always been the case from the onset, what?, over 1Oyears ago! That's why it comes and goes with HDADisabler kext....

I know... but something has injected Voodoo in my clover usb stick, used for installation. This is my first (and last, maybe) hackintosh and I'm learning how to do it, day by day, error by error... at this stage I can't see some details, and I can make errors. Sorry for that. :-)