After a few years out having a MBP I'm back for a fresh build and forgot how to do everything!

dannythezuko

2 posts in this topic

Build 3 hackintoshes back years ago, had a monster of one running on a z820 dual xeon 16 core with 192gb of ram and a titan xp graphics card!

Unfortunately those machines suffered with their PSU's and it eventually died...

Decided rather than fix it to build a new one from scratch

Gone with a xeon e5 12 core processor and a gigabyte gaming 5p x99 with my titan GPU

I used to use clover for my boots - I have no idea where to start as my old z820 had an excellent tutorial on here which I just followed...

No idea how to actually start my config from scratch?

Is clover still the go to?

Which OS should I run?

Will my GPU work on the latest OSX? As I've read nvidia issues?

Your GPU will definitely not work. You'll need AMD or some rather old NVIDIA GPUs in the latest iterations of the OS.

Clover is OK, but OpenCore is the rising star at the moment. The code base is cleaner and open and in my experience it is faster. It is also still less used, så getting help with it will be slightly harder. OpenCore is my weapon of choice these days, but YMMV.

Apart from that, just try to follow the guides from here or the vanilla guide from Reddit, I never go wrong with that one. And as always, be sure to know your hardware before taking the dive. Your GPU incompatibility being a good example.

Good luck with your endeavors. If you go ahead and do it, you'll most likely find that it's only become easier to hack now a days. =)