AMD Ryzen 5 Build

Uhrinator

2 posts in this topic

I'm starting this thread to both ask for help and document what I come across. If this is not the correct location for this thread, please move and/or inform me to move.

Backstory:

My current mac is a cMP 4,1 with 12-core 3.06GHz Xeon X5675 Processors 48GB 1333MHz ram and an NVME boot drive. With the release of os x catalina I fear that my computer is becoming obsolete and I'm certain that I can build something equal to or greater than my mac for what I can sell my mac for. (Anyone interested? ^_^)

Needs:

I am currently in school so the office suite is necessary. I run a Plex server on this machine (or need to). I game a tad (Farming Simulator 2017, Mudrunner). I also am an amateur photographer so editing photos and videos is a must as well. Raid will be in the future for redundancy. 3D modeling capability is also needed. Dual boot (OSX and windows) would be nice too since most of the applications I need are windows only.

Build Plans: 

My current parts list is here. I will do my best to keep this up to date as plans change. 

Component                   Description                                                                                Reasoning

CPU:                            AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor                                Price/performance
CPU Cooler:                  AMD Wraith Max 55.78 CFM CPU Cooler                                        Cheep!
Motherboard:                Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard         Expandability (RAM, SATA count, PCI ports)
Memory:                      G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory            Price/performance
Storage:                       Samsung 970 Pro 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive            Already have (also loaded with OSX 10.14)
Storage:                       Hitachi HGST Ultrastar 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive        Already have (Plex media drive)
Video Card:                  EVGA GeForce GTX 770 4 GB Dual ACX Video Card                         Already have (And works with OSX)
Case:                           Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG ATX Mid Tower Case                            8 drive bays, cheep-ish
Power Supply:              EVGA 600 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply                                 Already have (Can upgrade later)
Optical Drive:               LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer                                          Already have

Current Questions: 

1. Will the NVME boot without any kext modification in the new system?
    • I think the answer is NO but it's worth a shot.
  2. Related to 1, can the system files be modified to simply boot in the new system? i.e. not run any bootloader or Clover etc.
  3. Will the above hardware work?
    • I get that this is mostly trial and error but has anyone had this same setup?
  4. Am I ridiculous to think that I can pull this off in one All-in-one system?
    • is it too much?

I thank everyone who is sure to post and look forward to documenting my journey!

36 minutes ago, Hervé said:

1/ No

2/ No

3/ Yes, as long as this Ryzen CPU has AMD kernel support. An Intel CPU would be a no-brainer. You GTX 770 is Kepler and should be Ok with Mojave/Catalina.

4/ ?

Thank you for your reply!

3) It should be, it's currently working in my Mac Pro on Mojave.

4) What I mean is is it too much to ask for all of the functions I want in one.

Also, I just realized I basically want Shaneee’s build... Just saw it in his signature.

Does anyone know if you can run Plex from either of the OS and point to the same files? Or will plex get confused? What I mean is since the files will be in the same drive and I run plex on windows or OSX, will plex see the files regardless of which OS i'm in? I'm going to assume not.