Motherboard Asus P8H67-M LE with Chameleon

bgrau

10 posts in this topic

My old Dell Dimension 9200 Intel C2D fried its PSU, I purchased a new one which exploded, so gave me the impetus to upgrade to a new main PC with Motherboard Asus P8H67-M LE.

Been busy, & fooling around with Linux & Chrome OS but now trying to get OS X Sierra working on my new PC...

A long while ago, with profuse help from RehabMan, I got it working on Acer W700 through the HDMI connection (LCD no eDP driver)

Using Mavericks, Captain, Yosem & Sierra using USB 3.0 sticks...

My experience of this are in these two threads:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/299346-acer-iconia-w700/

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/300255-intel-hd-3000-no-graphics/page-3

The work on Acer W700 via HDMI gives QE/CI for Intel HD 3000 graphics.

I can also boot Sierra, Yosem, Mavericks, Lion to Asus P8H67-M LE with Chameleon but Intel HD 3000 does not give QE/CI.

There is a PCI-E slot where I can use the AMD Radeon HD6850 graphics card which gives QE/CI, but it takes all the PCI-E slots...

So I am trying to get the integrated card to give QE/CI.

So far no resources for this with chameleon, I will probably need to amend the DSDT a similar way done with Acer W700.

To save me hard work, is there a patched DSDT available already for Motherboard Asus P8H67-M LE with Intel HD 3000 graphics?

For now as initially for Acer W700 before patching its DSDT I get the annoying message:

SNB Framebuffer did not show up, unload

Edited by bgrau

I have a PCI-E x16 slot, & can fit my old Asus AMD HD6850 graphics card, just interested to see how to use the Intel HD3000.

Ref.

As I said above, I can use the Intel HD3000 with Acer Iconia W700, with the caveat of hooking it up to an HDMI monitor, it's good enough to access OS X from an external HD, SSD or USB.

Ref.

PS. - I like the integrated Intel HD3000 graphics card because it allows me to run Google Chrome OS which was a project of mine I posted profusely on in the XDA Developers forums.

Edited by bgrau

No exact idea how I did this, but I got full QE/Ci with Intel Graphics HD3000 using El Capitan on Asus P8H67-M LE.

I can't get this with Sierra or Yosem, in fact they get stuck with "still waiting for root device".

I boot from the partition with Sierra which has Chameleon with /Extra, the smbios.plist is for 8,1 which is a Macbook pro, I got a patched DSDT of Asus P8H67-M LE from OSX86.net -

However the El-Capitan has the DSDT of Acer Iconia W700 & associated /Extra , with same /boot Chameleon.

The above combination gives me full QE/CI - so major progress.

Unable to figure out why Sierra & Yosem cannot boot.

Other challenges which need sorting out regardless are these drivers:

Realtek ethernet 8111

USB 3.0

CD/DVD not recognised...

I had to boot from USB 2.0

Notes:

using smbios.plist for 5,1 (ie mac mini) does not boot, the above combination has to use smbios.plist for 8,1 (macbook pro)

How to make this workable for sierra, yosem or boot from El Capitan without having this hybrid stuff... is a challenge, no clue.

Any geek master with answers?

Details:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 3.3 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Processor Interconnect Speed: 25.4 GT/s

Boot ROM Version: MBP81.xxx

Apple ROM Info: B***

SMC Version (system): 1.30f3

Serial Number (system): xxx

Hardware UUID: xxx

Intel HD Graphics 3000:

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics 3000

Type: GPU

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 512 MB

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x0126

Revision ID: 0x0009

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Mirror: On

Mirror Status: Hardware Mirror

Online: Yes

Built-In: Yes

D2343:

Resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60Hz (1080p)

Display Serial Number:            

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: On

Mirror Status: Master Mirror

Rotation: Supported

Television: Yes

Edited by bgrau

The graphics result above was because I had the DSDT.aml of the motherboard in the Sierra partition, & the DSDT of Acer W700 in the El Capitan partition, so it fooled it into that output.

With DSDT same in all partitions the usual only one monitor output will show up.

For those interested to fool around & improve on this, who have the Asus P8H67-M LE  mobo, here is the link to its patched DSDT.aml:

https://www.osx86.net/files/download/137-dsdt-p8h67-rev-3/

Solved ethernet with Rehabman kext.

Not yet solved USB 3 - Rehabman didn't upgrade for El Capitan & Sierra, etc.

Intel HD Graphics 3000:

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics 3000

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 512 MB

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x0126

Revision ID: 0x0009

Displays:

D2343:

Resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60Hz (1080p)

Display Serial Number:            

Mirror: Off

Television: Yes

So QE/CI graphics with Intel HD3000 solved for Lion, Yosem, El Capitan & Sierra on Asus P8H67-M LE.

I might start thinking of migrating from Chameleon to Clover, even with my aging 60 years' geek brains.

As for USB 3, RehabMan kext works on Yosem, so if I want USB 3, I will use Yosem.

Edited by bgrau

I will soon include zips of my Extra's for those who wish to use them who own a PC with Asus P8H67-M LE mobo

Side note & rant -

The motherboard sold to me via ebay in a barebone PC has the defective SATA 3g chipset, meaning I can only use the SATA 6g 2 ports  :sick: - I found a PCI-E SATA 6g replacement with 4 SATA ports, but it was disingeneous of the seller not to alert me, though the PC was very cheap, so I decided to keep it, & mod it instead.

Edited by bgrau

• 2 weeks later...

Extras that worked for me on Asus P8H67-M LE with Chameleon Enoch-rev.2908 / Enoch-rev.2902

For Sierra also with dedicated AMD Radeon RX550 detected as RX560 with dev id 67FF1002

AMD Radeon RX560:

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon RX560

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x8

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x67ff

Revision ID: 0x00ff

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.3180

This is the only instance I could get it to work, all other extras are for Asus integrated Intel HD 3000 - I ued same modded DSDT.aml for all, if interested you can analyse the files...

Sierra.zip

Yosem.zip

Lion.zip

AMD Radeon RX560:

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon RX560

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x8

VRAM (Total): 4096 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x67ff

Revision ID: 0x00ff

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.3180

Metal: Supported

Displays:

D2343:

Resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz

Display Serial Number:            

Mirror: Off

Automatically Adjust Brightness: No

Extras that didn't work for Asus P8H67-M LE Intel HD3000 are for 

Old Snow Leopard I successfully used with AMD HD 6850 on Dell Dimension 9200 C2D...

High Sierra gets stuck & doesn't get boot device at startup...

Couldn't upload...

Edited by bgrau

Using older versions of chameleon allows running Snow Leopard on  Asus P8H67-M LE - useful for me.

Best SMBios to use I found were iMac 14,2 - Mac Mini 5,1 - MacBook Pro 8,1 - extracted using Chameleon Wizard.

Best for stability & straight booting is Lion, followed by Sierra.

For USB 3.0 Lion & Yosem.

Yosem has issues, needs several attempts to boot & deleting kextcache, but when booted is rock solid.

Still unable to get High Sierra to work, not tried latest Mojave, Catalina.

Notes: 

the best chameleon for Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion & Mavericks is version Chameleon-2.2svn-r2401.

the best chameleon for Yosem, El Capitan & Sierra is Enoch-rev.2902

for High Sierra, Mojave, etc I believe chameleon no longer works, & clover should be used - I have been dragging my feet learning how to use clover as it is quite complex, & I am lazy ;)

I am happiest with Lion, Mavericks & Yosem which sadly are no longer supported officially by Apple (especially USB 3.0)

Edited by bgrau

• 1 month later...

El Capitan Extra

ElCapitan.zip

The best chameleon settings for Yosem & above up to Sierra are attached.

I found out thanks to some more expert than me with chameleon that I was missing this:

<key>BooterConfig</key>
    <string>0x28</string>
    <key>CsrActiveConfig</key>
    <string>103</string>

Again the best chameleon version is Enoch r2908 (or r2902)

& the best smbios is for iMac 14,2.

With these above, all is stable, with the caveat that USB 3.0 generic kext not working for El Capitan, Sierra...

I have resisted using Clover as I am more comfortable with Chameleon, & this proves also that Chameleon is still a good choice up to Sierra.

org.chameleon.Boot.plist.zip

Edited by bgrau

• 11 months later...

Just a few comments about Sierra & Yosemite on Motherboard Asus P8H67-M LE, using Enoch Chameleon r2902.

As I said it takes a few tries to get it to load, but once loaded I can leave it for weeks, I am amazed at how rock solid it is.

Of course no USB 3.0 for Sierra.

With Yosemite on the other hand, USB 3.0 is fully activated, also take a few tries to get loaded, but it usually fails after a few days & needs to be hard rebooted.

Have still not been able to get the Clover bootloader to work on Yosemite, ElCapitan & Sierra...