USB 3.1 power output rating

3 posts in this topic

Is there any way to configure the USB 3.1 ports to give more than 500mA of power for devices plugged on them - preferably without purchasing new hardware and using the available port from my MSI Z270M Mortar (https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z270M-MORTAR/Specification) mobo? It is annoying my iPad not charging when plugged on a USB C port with macOS - but charging full steam ahead in Windows.

[Edit] I've already applied the USB identification and stuff as per most of the guides out there. That doesn't mean I have not missed something...

Screen Shot 2019-10-01 at 9.58.04 AM.png

Edited by Alex HQuest

5 hours ago, Hervé said:

You probably did not generate the SSDT or the USBPort kext properly or you're not using them properly.

1. boot with only Rehabman's USBInjectAll kext and the correct SMBIOS for your system
  2. using Hackintool app, generate the SSDT-UIAC.aml table + USBPorts kext

In Clover, inject either SSDT_UIAC table + USBInjectAll kext or USBPorts on its own.

Right. That was exactly what I originally did: ran my system with Rehabman's USBInjectAll kext to identify and map all system USB ports, by its header type, speed and location (USB2/USB3/USB3.1/Type C/Internal/Front/etc), then used Hackintool app to generate the USBPorts.kext, disabling the ports I had no use (i.e. HS06, HS13, HS14, HS15, SS01), copied the generated USBPort kext and SSDT-EC.aml, and got rid of the USBInjectAll.

I've re-ran it all one more time just because, and apart of smaller files (both the SSDT and the kext), same results were achieved. 500mA on any USB ports.

[Edit] Replacing the USBPorts.kext by the SSDT-UIAC.aml file makes no difference to the power output rating.

Edited by Alex HQuest

While reviewing Rehabman's original post on "USB power proper injection for Sierra and later" (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-usb-power-property-injection-for-sierra-and-later.222266/), seems both USBX and UIAC.RMCF DSDT entries were missing. Because I have no native EC, I have to fake one. By doing so, I'm now pumping up to 2100mA to the iPad, which is making it charge like nobody's business.

As a side note, seems Rehabman is MIA since mid March. Miss him, but wish him well on the real world out there.