HELP! Can't boot El Cap from any available boot volume

RePete222

2 posts in this topic

After messing up my bootloader by making the mistake of trying to update to 10.11.6 from the SW Update screen, I am trying to boot from either my Install USB or one of my test El Cap partitions (all of which were thankfully offline at the time, and out of Installer's reach).  My USB apparently has a corrupted plist (getting "ParseTagInteger decimal error" messages during boot).  One of my test partitions managed to boot up all the way to the desktop once (although verbose messages went dark after the screen resolution change), but ever since, keeps running into some issue and shutting down (again, some time after screen goes dark and verbose messages cease).

If I can't get a successful boot, I may need to find a way to cross-build an emergency boot volume from a Windows PC, or else try to mount the USB on a Windows system to diagnose/edit the bad plist.

Any suggestions on bootflags to try?  Also, when I did get to the desktop, my admin password (the same one I've always been using) is no longer recognized!  It even prompts for BOTH a username and password when needing to validate an install (usually has only asked for a password).

Thanks for any insight you can provide me.

• 1 month later...

ISSUE SOLVED--Last week, I came across an old El Cap clone volume that I was able to cross-boot and get up and running.  From there, I updated to the latest Chameleon Enoch bootloader, and was able to restore from a TM backup taken prior to the botched update, and get the previously working system booting again.  I did come across some other articles discussing how to create a boot USB stick from Windows, and may pursue that as a side exercise at some point.