GPU drivers revert to macOS driver sometimes after reboot

dellala

2 posts in this topic

CPU: Intel i7-7700K

GPU: 1080ti

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270X Gaming 7

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO NVMe m.2 SSD

I did the NVRAM test in terminal, and after re-boot, it retains the value I stored, so I'm assuming that my mobo does indeed have NVRAM. Even still, sometimes after rebooting, my mackintosh starts up low resolution and when I check the graphics drivers, it has switched from the Nvidia web driver back to the default macOS driver. How can I stop this from happening?

Not the answer you're looking for, but ... I have almost the same motherboard and processor.  I had Endless grief with updates on 10.12.6, just couldn't get the supplemental update to work.

I finally stuck in an inexpensive RX 570, and all my problems just disappeared (while using latest Clover, WEG + lilu).

Just upgraded to 10.14.6 and all it's supplemental updates with no issues.  Even the DVI port works (as well as the hdmi and Display Port).

Save yourself some trouble.  Apple has drawn their line in the sand and even though you may finally be able to get it all to work (at some level of very reduced functionality), it's going to cost a lot of time, and probably won't work all all with Catalina (or maybe will work, but you'll have Far less hair after the experience).

If you Really want to stick with nVidia, the 1080ti is the wrong nVidia card.   Paradoxically, none of the high end recent nVidia cards are going to work.  

Older and cheaper is the way to go.  Try something natively supported like the GTX 760?

But, instead - take my advice and go with a more recent RX or better.  All of my other video cards for my Windows boxes are nVidia.  That's my preference, better technology.  But for a Hackintosh ...  RX!!

Good luck!!!