can't create 6GB install from 6GB 'macOS install Data'?

exquirentibus

5 posts in this topic

I'm having trouble getting to 1st base and creating the Mojave install with my Sierra 10.12.6.

After downloading the 10.14.6 "full install" of 22.7 MB (obviously just a loader file), I followed the instructions for the 2nd method to create the Real full install from:

http://osxdaily.com/2018/09/29/download-full-macos-mojave-installer/

I saw that the 6GB install was indeed broken into smaller files located at "MacOS Install Data" at the root of my HD.

I used terminal as follows:

My-iMac:~ myName$ sudo -s
Password:
bash-3.2# mkdir /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app/Contents/SharedSupport
bash-3.2# cd /macOS\ Install\ Data
bash-3.2# find . -mount | cpio -pvdm /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app/Contents/SharedSupport
/Applications/Install macOS Mojave.app/Contents/SharedSupport/.
/Applications/Install macOS Mojave.app/Contents/SharedSupport/./AppleDiagnostics.chunklist
/Applications/Install macOS Mojave.app/Contents/SharedSupport/./AppleDiagnostics.dmg
/Applications/Install macOS Mojave.app/Contents/SharedSupport/./BaseSystem.chunklist
/Applications/Install macOS Mojave.app/Contents/SharedSupport/./BaseSystem.dmg
/Applications/Install macOS Mojave.app/Contents/SharedSupport/./index.sproduct
/Applications/Install macOS Mojave.app/Contents/SharedSupport/./InstallESDDmg.pkg
/Applications/Install macOS Mojave.app/Contents/SharedSupport/./InstallInfo.plist
/Applications/Install macOS Mojave.app/Contents/SharedSupport/./Locked Files
/Applications/Install macOS Mojave.app/Contents/SharedSupport/./Locked Files/.disk_label
/Applications/Install macOS Mojave.app/Contents/SharedSupport/./Locked Files/.disk_label.contentDetails
/Applications/Install macOS Mojave.app/Contents/SharedSupport/./Locked Files/.disk_label_2x
/Applications/Install macOS Mojave.app/Contents/SharedSupport/./Locked Files/Boot Files
/Applications/Install macOS Mojave.app/Contents/SharedSupport/./Locked Files/cleanup_installer
/Applications/Install macOS Mojave.app/Contents/SharedSupport/./OSX_10_14_IncompatibleAppList.pkg
11774129 blocks
bash-3.2#

Unfortunately, it didn't create the full install. i didn't notice that it created anything, but I don't see any errors above?

What obvious, stupid mistake am I making?

Guest ricoc90

ricoc90 - Very kind of you to respond - and to write the app!!

I'd really prefer to use as few 3rd party tools as possible.

it's my security background that makes me Way too careful, no doubt?

I developed a deep paranoia back in the late 80's when a Mac financial app I developed (was on the shelf at the now defunct CompUSA which started out here in Dallas as Soft Warehouse) was found by the testing team to be infected with an early Mac virus. This was way back when DOS still ruled world ha ha.

Are there terminal commands I could use?

Or, maybe I could use an external SSD to run 3rd party code to isolate it?

How do you deal with limiting your exposure to what are probably just beneficial apps, but you can't verify?

Will the checksums of the created installer match the downloaded from Apple installer checksum?

Are the original checksums available somewhere?

Guest ricoc90

Well, it's good to be aware of security of course ;)

Can't speak for the other apps, but what mine does is nothing more than grabbing the files from Apple's software catalog.

Take a look at this shell script:

As far as I know all apps kind of work the same way as this shell script: they grab the needed files from the catalog (https://swscan.apple.com/content/catalogs/others/index-10.14beta-10.14-10.13-10.12-10.11-10.10-10.9-mountainlion-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog)

Edited by ricoc90

On 8/22/2019 at 8:32 PM, ricoc90 said:

Well, it's good to be aware of security of course ;)

Can't speak for the other apps, but what mine does is nothing more than grabbing the files from Apple's software catalog.

I really appreciate your feedback.  That shell script does seem rather innocuous!!

On 8/23/2019 at 2:02 AM, Hervé said:

Aren't you able to simply download the full installation app from AppStore and then create your USB installer with the well-known createinstallmedia Terminal command?

No.  As near as I can figure out, some unlucky folks just get a tiny stub loader - and once they do, that's all they will get.

But, for anyone with the same problem, I have some good news!!  When I booted up the 10.12.6 where I'd attempted to create the 6GB full install, the 6 GB install was where it was supposed to be. 

The scripts I ran (shown in my first post) must have created it. 

Not sure why the file size didn't show up until Sierra was restarted.  I used Path Finder to view the file size.  Oh well, I'm very sorry to have wasted everyone's time on this when a simple reboot would have 'fixed' the problem!!