Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shinho73

Mojave on old core 2 duo PC

5 posts in this topic

I have a very old PC with intel core 2 duo and Geforce GT 620. This pc does not have AHCI, only IDE. I was able to install Mojave with some AHCI fix kexts. However, when I boot, gets to log in screen,  and the screen goes black and restarts. On verbose, does not show any error. Just boots up to the log in screen and restart. Same thing with Sierra and High Sierra as well. But on Yosemite and El Capitan, no isssues. Just that on El Capitan, it would not reboot and shutdown. On Yosemite everything works. Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.966991445_ScreenshotatAug0109-57-24.thumb.png.a8289ef1c99010d6a88aea610e93fbba.png

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

Edited by shinho73
delete some words

Advertisement

Well-known issue... Mojave does not natively fully support old C2D/C2Q platforms due to lack of SSE4.2 instructions set. To avoid this SSE4.2-related reset/restart, you need to replace Mojave's telemetry plugin by an earlier version such as that of High Sierra 10.13.6.

It's been quite widely documented throughout the Hackintosh scene and on this very forum but you may find guidance on the matter here. Basically, in order to replace Mojave's vanilla telemetry plugin, you'll have to place a copy of 10.13.6's version on your USB installer, boot it again and, once you reach the Mojave installation screen, use Terminal to replace Mojave's telemetry plugin by the version on your USB key. This will also be required each time you update Mojave.

A few points to note:

1. this SSE4.2-related issue is not applicable to Sierra and High Sierra for which your reported problems are different (and probably GT620-related).
  2. you'll have to replace your graphics card to run Mojave: GT620 is Fermi and not supported under Mojave ('not even sure it's properly supported beyond El Capitan, like the GT610). Mojave requires Metal-compatible cards. Given that there is no Web Driver for Mojave, the only nVidia cards supported by Mojave are those of the Kepler generation (you'll find existing posts/threads on this forum which list such cards).

Edited by Hervé

1504075172_ScreenshotatAug0210-56-14.png.a43f96e38bc1e086ad3c4e1b1c5bce89.png1768413077_ScreenshotatAug0211-29-31.thumb.png.60766a986afaada31570a1c47efa07ac.pngManage to install Mojave. Using High Sierra telemetry plugin fixed the problem. The GT 620, Open GL app shows "value_metal". Mojave recognizes the GPU, but no acceleration. Is this fixable. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

I'm pretty sure I said GT620 was not supported and needed replacement...

That or you go for the trick of installing the nVidia kexts for dropped cards from High Sierra 10.13.6 and replace a few graphics-related frameworks alongside. It's not perfect and will give you graphics acceleration albeit with some minor limitations/defects that can be worked around. It works Ok but it's a little tedious for some. You can Google for this and look for detailed explanations on this forum or at MacRumors but basically:

1. you install the nVidia graphics kexts from 10.13.6 in /S/L/E as explained here. In order to retain them after each Mojave update, a good idea is to install them in /L/E, having increased their version to, say, 999; this way, they will always supersede Mojave's vanilla versions in /S/L/E which can be left untouched.
  2. In 10.14.4 and later versions, you replace OpenGL + CoreDisplay frameworks in /S/L/Frameworks and GPUSupport framework in /S/L/PrivateFrameworks by 10.14.3's versions as explained here and later posts.
  3. The various necessary files are available here if required.

But, in the case of your Fermi card, I'm doubtful about the trick because Mojave does offer what appears to be a Fermi kext NVDAGF100Hal by default...

By far and large, I'd recommend you go for a cheap (<50$/€) Kepler card such as GT710, GT720 or GT730-DDR5 as replacement. They work OOB. I went with the latter for my old Dell Vostro 200 ST C2D desktop.

Edited by Hervé