Unabashed noob who's tired of Ubuntu Crashing seeks help in converting his Frankenstein's Monster into OSX Pet

webwebster

3 posts in this topic

So, I bought this odd confection off a hobbyist for what seemed to bargain price considering the potential: Dual XEON x5670s on an ASUSTek Z8NA-D6(C) motherboard running a legacy AMI BIOS. 12 cores, running as 24, with 16GB RAM, to replace my dying 2009 iMac as my dedicated Plex server, suitable for 4K transcoding and good remote viewing [I have a 500+mbps wired internet connection with 50mbps upload, so I should be rivalling NetFlix for my friends and family]. I am currently running the server on Ubuntu, but that has been an unmitigated disaster, and I want to return to my old familiar OSX if possible. I started making an install flashdrive for Mojave, but when I got to the configs, I could find no info regarding my particular combination, or anything remotely similar as far as I can tell - and that's not very far, I know almost nothing about configs, having dozed in Apple's padded cells since the first family Apple IIe in the early 80s. Once I open Clover and look for such things as values, my eyes glaze over. Has anyone ever succeeded in creating a working Mac given similar parameters to mine? I can supply mor einfo as needed. Many thanks in advance.

I'll do my best:

The computer has a GeForce GTX 680 Graphics card and an AST2050 video card. It has no wireless card but an 82574L Gigabit Network ethernet connection connected to a Gigabit LAN, routed through a Linksys WRT 1900 AC router. Sound appears to be handled by EMU20k2 Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium series which plays through an external DAC. The 16GB RAM is DDR3 running at 1333 MT/s, 4 slots of 4GB with two more empty. The Xeons are X5670 as stated above, @2.93GHz. there are 12 physical cores. I do not know about the audio codecs or where/how to find them on Ubuntu. The BIOS, as I said, is AMI version 1303. I will upload the full screengrabs of its specs here. If there's anything else you need to know, please tell me. and thanks in advance for taking the time to help me.

IMG_5270.jpg

IMG_5269.jpg

IMG_5268.jpg

No takers here? No suggestions? I've tried to make a USB install stick with Mojave and Clover (Clobber) but been twice unsuccessful: the Ubuntu machine refuses to load the drive and I am left with a flashing cursor on an otherwise-black screen