A1176 Mac Mini 2,1

dandce

1 post in this topic

Hi,

I've got a Mac Mini A1176 which has been upgraded to have a Core 2 Duo processor. As such it's 64 bit, right? Yet the EFI is 32 bit. Right? This is my understanding.

It seems to mean I am encountering a very difficult process when trying to install Linux on my Mac.

I have no interest in continuing to run OS X and have wiped the disk. That wasn't totally intentional, it happened during a failed attempt to install 64 bit SangomaOS. Everything looked to be going really well, but the installer suddenly said out of the blue: "the package grub2-efi-ia32 is required does not exist".

This was intensely annoying because up until that point everything had been going really well and it looked like the install was going to work.

I am now downloading CentOS "Everything" in the hope that it will contain grub2 ia32 AND the 64 bit files?

Otherwise, HELP?!?! I can see this document all about how to install Linux on a Mac of a similar vintage - do I REALLY need to reinstall OS X and jump through ALL those hoops?

Please help...!

Thanks