usb 3.0 port overheating problem [temporarily fixed]

hohoho

1 post in this topic

926008928_samedeviceidandhardwareid.thumb.png.0ca66ffd7f2292cd374ed1de9eb31747.pngi don't know if this is the right place to post this, but i have a problem with my usb 3.0 port. i think power management is implemented but when i put a usb 3.0 in the usb 3.0 port, it gets very hot very quickly even at idle (the usb 3.0 is just plugged in the usb 3.0 port and i am not transferring files or reading files from it). but when i use the same exact usb 3.0 in the same exact usb 3.0 port in windows, it's not hot at all. i can literally feel the difference. the usb 3.0 is literally not hot in windows. i noticed that when i use a usb 2.0 in the same exact usb 3.0 port, the usb 3.0 port works fine and does not overheat. my hack is using brand new hardware and motherboard, the BIOS is updated to the latest version and the temperatures are similar in windows. any help would be much appreciated. thanks a lot.

i also tested it in ubuntu 19.04 without downloading updates of the OS and the usb 3.0 port is also hot there. so maybe it's a driver/kext problem? it's as if like the usb 3.0 port is always getting current even at idle? which should not happen?

in macOSMojave it takes 1-3 minutes for the usb 3.0 to be extremely hot to the touch while idle and it takes nearly 1 minute to completely cool down. but the same exact usb 3.0 in windows (also idle) doesn't get as hot and immediately after i remove the usb 3.0 it cools down in seconds. so i guess there is too much electricity going to the usb 3.0 port in macOS?

making changes in the values inside USBX.aml doesn't make any significant difference.

preventing spotlight from indexing the usb 3.0 drive doesn't make any difference.

i'm starting to think that the overheating usb 3.0 is indeed a driver problem (an Apple issue) like the macOS driver is not optimized for the hardware but it is compatible. I don't know how to fix that yet, but any ideas on how to fix it would be much appreciated. Maybe a MacOS update would fix it because i am assuming that a macOS update might update the drivers too? Maybe in future MacOS? or maybe Apple did not bother to optimize the usb 3.0 driver because their newer mabookPros are all using usb C now? at least i can still use usb 2.0 devices on it without problems. 

[temporary fix]

- only use usb 2.0 in usb 3.0 port and no overheating issue happens. use usb 3.0 at usb 2.0 ports instead (no overheating issue happens too). with this temporary fix, usb 3.0 port still behaves properly with zero overheating in windows. my only concern was the overheating issue not the usb speed because last time, i was told that the motherboard and LCD of my laptop got short circuited (might have also been caused by initial poor implementation of power management), so they were both replaced.

[update to the problem]

- it looks like even using a usb 2.0 at the usb 3.0 port breaks something. i was using an external SSD (in an usb 2.0 enclosure) at the usb 3.0 port yesterday in MacOS mojave (it was plugged in half of the day never took it out). the next day when i tested the usb 3.0 port again in windows, it also now do the overheating issue too. so something happened yesterday in MacOS Mojave that might have broken something inside the usb 3.0 port. So the best thing to do i guess is to never use the usb 3.0 port in macOS to prevent overheatting issues and breaking the hardware/motherboard because i am assuming that if there is nothing connected to it, electricity (improper volume of electricity) is not being given to it (have not tested this yet).

[update - temporary fix]

- i got a usb 2.0 hub and based on my initial tests, it works in both mojave and catalina without causing any overheating issues. And upon testing in windows, the usb hub does not do any damage to the usb 2.0 ports. hopefully no short circuits in my laptop happens again.

Screen Shot 2019-06-30 at 12.55.47 PM.png

CLOVER.zip

temp sa windows.png

power management issue usb.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-01 at 1.44.01 AM.png

Edited by hohoho
updates