what works better, AMD or P4?

zed420

5 posts in this topic

Hello. I am very excited about possibly installing OS X onto a Intell based machine. My question is, I have two possible options for systems that I could install this on.

I have a AMD athelon 3000+ XP based system running windows XP. This is my preferred system to try to make run OS X.

My girlfriend (not computer savoy) has a Intel P4 based system, a Dell Dimension desktop 4700, with SSE3 I think. I could maybe convince her to swap systems with me as mine is faster, has a bigger harddrive ect.

What is the difference running OS X between these two computers? I think I have gleemed from this forum that the the P4 system will run OS X better then the AMD one? Is this true? What is the difference as far a preformance if I install on the AMD or the P4? Will the P4 really run OS X that much faster/stable?

I'm trying to get a handle on all of this, any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Zed

i dont think the athlon xp is going to work, as it will lack SSE2, which is a basic requirement of running OS X.

even if it did have SSE2, you'd need patches for AMD and SSE2, whereas with the P4 you need minimal patching.

i'd say go with the intel machine.

get the drivers first... imho that is the main problem. whichever one got more compatibility its better.

i installed on 2 intel machines, one of them took me 3-4 hours to get the network / sound drivers working. and it is running fine!

the other is taking me days to get the graphic, network, sound working due to lack of drivers. and i have yet to fix the problem.

Well, I've been doing some ebay shopping, and I've seen Dimension 4700's going for under $300 on ebay, so maybe I'll just pick up a new compy for this project.

What is the best desktop system for running OS X, is it the 4700 or is there something better in that pricerange?