Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ANONIMNIQ

Did Mojave will run on Intel Xeon X3363?

10 posts in this topic

I can buy modified Intel Xeon X3363 for 775 socket for a really good price. The processor is analog of Q9550. I know that Mojave will run on Q9550 with high sierra telemetry plugin the same way It works with my current core 2 duo CPU. Is it OK to use server CPU and do I need extra installation steps? Also, because I will update mu GPU too, do I need fresh installation after the upgrade or everything will work fine?

Advertisement
Posted (edited)

No additional installation steps required as far as I'm concerned. Several years ago, I replaced the E8600 of my Vostro200 desktop by a dual-core Xeon X5270 and Mavericks/Yosemite continued to work just fine.

It'd be roughly the same to what you have just now because, like your E8400 or a Q9950, the Xeon X3363 has SSE4.1 instructions set only, not SSE4.2, so telemetry plugin replacement will still be required. You may just need to switch from iMac SMBIOS to MacPro SMBIOS, like MP5,1 or 6,1. You may even require to fake CPUID in case it's not fully recognized.

You got to watch out though. Ok the Xeon CPU may be modified in the sense that it must have the little pin-isolation sticker at the back to run in an LGA775 socket but you would have to butcher your socket 775 a little for it to take a Xeon LGA771. It's not a straight swap and the Xeon CPU won't just fit straight away in an LGA775 socket; you have to cut off a couple of little notches of it 1st. You can Google for this.

I also want to advise you that I had to revert my Vostro200 to its E8600 to install and/or run High Sierra + Mojave. When the computer is fitted with the X5270, HiSie & Moj installations just won't boot. The computer will just reset quickly into the boot process, even if I switch SMBIOS. I think I even tried the add CPUID faking in Clover to no avail. Yet, Windows will boot Ok with the X52770...

So, beware and proceed with caution on the basis that it may not work.

Edited by Hervé

Thank you! The CPU is modified to fit in 775 socket just fine. If I need to use fake CPUID how to do that? Is it possible Mojave to recognise the X3363 CPU as Q9550? Btw I can buy this CPU for $15 which is 50% cheaper than Q9550.

Screenshot 2019-05-07 at 10.11.28.png

Posted (edited)

If you look into Clover Configurator, you'll see the list of various CPUs Clover can fake; you'd just have to pick-up the Yorkfield or Wolfdale family equivalent if that were required. Go ahead, nothing to lose but $15 after all...

Edited by Hervé

15 minutes ago, Hervé said:

If you look into Clover Configurator, you'll see the list of various CPUs Clover can fake; you'd just have to pick-up the Yorkfield or Wolfdale family equivalent if that were required. Go ahead, nothing to lose but $15 after all...

Thank you again! I contact the seller and think to buy it tomorrow. Btw i buy and other GPU - GeForce GTX 750 ti. Wait for it tomorrow too, but I think the GPU will work just fine with exact same kexts that I use for my current GPU.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, ANONIMNIQ said:

[...]but I think the GPU will work just fine with exact same kexts that I use for my current GPU.

Not at all, quite the contrary!

• Quadro FX1800 is Tesla and therefore natively supported up to High Sierra. If you run Mojave with it, then you had to apply the trick of recalling the High Sierra kexts and, if you updated to 10.14.4, you also had to rollback a couple of 10.14.3 frameworks.
  • GeForce GTX 750Ti is Maxwell and will not be supported at all in Mojave. There is no native support for Maxwell cards in any OS X/macOS version (Apple native support for nVidia cards stopped at Kepler generation) and, as such, they require the nVidia Web driver. By now, everyone knows there are no Web drivers for Mojave and never will be. So, no!, don't buy that card if running Mojave, it won't work.

If you want to change your old Quadro FX1800, consult the numerous threads about graphics cards for Mojave that are available on this forum. With nvidia, your choice will be limited to Kepler cards only so most people now opt to turn to AMD.

Edited by Hervé

3 minutes ago, Hervé said:

Not at all, quite the contrary!

Quadro FX1800 is Tesla and therefore natively supported up to High Sierra. If you run Mojave with it, then you had to apply the trick of recalling the High Sierra kexts and, in the case of Mojave 10.14.4, the rollback of 10.14.3 frameworks.

GeForce GTX 750Ti is Maxwell and will not be supported at all in Mojave because it requires the nVidia Web driver in all OS X/macOS version. Apple native support for nVidia cards stopped at Kepler generation. So, no!, don't buy that card if running Mojave, it won't work.

Thank you! I think to use this card for video editing and gaming, but maybe I'll use it just with Windows and my quadro with Mojave. I run Mojave as my primary OS now. Btw is there any chance for nvidia web drivers in the future?

Posted (edited)

The chance of seeing an nVidia Web driver for Mojave is as high as, say, seeing Arnold Schwarzenegger elected as US President.

You may consider the following nVidia Kepler cards, knowing that some of those Kepler Quadro cards, like the K2000, are available for very cheap.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/?mfgr=NVIDIA&mobile=No&architecture=Kepler&sort=name

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/?mfgr=NVIDIA&mobile=No&architecture=Kepler 2.0&sort=name

Edited by Hervé

3 minutes ago, Hervé said:

The chance of seeing an nVidia Web driver for Mojave is as high as, say, seeing Arnold Schwarzenegger elected as US President.

And there is no chance Apple to go back to nvidia support for macos 10.15 I guess? So no nvidia love from apple.

Posted (edited)

There is enough fruitless debate on this matter elsewhere; no need to further drool on this here.

Edited by Hervé