Vector75

Slow write speed NVMe (Samsung 970 EVO 500Gb)

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Good morning,

Since a couple of weeks I'm the proud owner of a Hackingtosh. It is sooo much faster than my iMac i7 (mid 2010) but even faster then my office Macbook Pro 15" i7 (2018).

So Im happy. That said, I want get the maximum out of my investment. So I did some benchmarks and found out that my NVMe drive was not doing the speeds it was advertised to do. Read is lighting fast but write, the first half a second it's doing 2100Mb/s then it takes a nosedive to around 600Mb/s and sometimes even lower.

Is this normal? Or is there something going wrong?

Thanks

Screenshot 2019-04-15 at 23.36.03.png

Screenshot 2019-04-16 at 20.00.47.png

Edited by Vector75

Advertisement
Posted (edited)

I'd say it's normal, yes. Manufacturers are always giving out their best performance marks (sometimes it's not even achievable in real life) and you should know that the performance of M.2 NVM2 SSDs tends to drop as they heat up. It's worse with 2242 models than 2280 but applicable to all nevertheless.

Edited by Hervé

Thanks for your reply.

I have passive cooling on the M.2 so the temp is not going above 41˚. But advertising with 2.300MB/s and only getting to 600MB/s that feel as a lot less performance.

But if this is normal, still love my machine ;) 

Posted (edited)

You can read more about this if you Google for your model benchmarks.

Eg:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Samsung/970_Evo_SSD_500_GB/6.html

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8879/samsung-970-evo-plus-500gb-ssd-review/index2.html

On sustained sequential write, that SSD can rapidly exhaust its cache and write speed then collapses from >2000MB/s to about 600MB/s. That's what you see.

Edited by Hervé

Hahahah thanks,

Recap, I've should have gotten the pro version. It was the same price, but I read there where problems using it with an Hackintosh.

No matter, thanks for your feedback!