Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chimera1234

Wifi on Gigabyte Z370 HD3 rev. 1.0

4 posts in this topic

So, I have been looking to get this WIFI and Bluetooth-card/chip for my hackintosh: 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Broadcom-BCM943602CS-802-11AC-WiFi-Bluetooth-4-0-PC-Desktop-WLAN-Card-PCI-E-1X/272033537565?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D57475%26meid%3D7e77600a5cb24eb08704083afb3ca28f%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dag%26sd%3D282015385309%26itm%3D272033537565&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

But I cant tell if my Gigabyte Z370 HD3 rev. 1.0 mobo would be compatible with the card/chip? The mobo does have three empty PCI-slots but it does not seem to have WLAN- and/or Bluetooth cable interface from what I can tell from the mobo specs on Gigabytes website. So, my question is - can I use the card/chip anyway and just put it in a free PCI-slot or is my mobo just not able to support WIFI in general since it does not have a WLAN/Bluetooth interface....:cry:

If this question belongs somewhere else, please let me know where else to post it, and I will delete this post right away:)

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Advertisement
Posted (edited)

I think you're confused and somehow ill-informed about the way your computer and the card operate.

The add-on card is of PCI Express type. It's compatible with any computer fitted with PCIe slots. The card is PCIe x1 (small connector) so it'll fit in any PCIe slot, whether x1, x4, x8 or x16 (the reverse would not be true without butchering slots smaller than a larger card).

For wireless LAN, the card will communicate with your computer through the PCIe bus. For Bluetooth, it will communicate through a USB port/connection. In that respect, the cable that comes with the card needs to be hooked to an internal USB port/header; these are usually offered in the form of bare pin-outs on the motherboard.

According to your motherboard's specs, the PCIe slots are version v3.0 so they're compatible with all current v1.0, v2.0 or v3.0 PCI Express revisions. As for the internal USB connectors, please refer to your motherboard's user manual... The motherboard's layout available on p4 and p12 shows 4 x such connectors (2 x USB2.0 and 2 x USB3.0/3.1). Hook your card to a USB2.0 header (no need for USB3 connectivity for Bluetooth).

To know more about PCI Express and USB internal ports/headers, use Google...

Edited by Hervé

Thank you Hervé!!! You have replied to one of my questions before, and I really appreciate the help!!:) - even if I am confused and ill-informed:frantics:I have tried googling these things, but I find that navigating the technical ins-and-outs of hackintoshing can sometimes be quiet difficult to say the least. On that note, thanks again Herve!!

No problem, but that's not related to Hackintoshing per sé, just standard computing stuff...