advice for system definition and SMBIOS setting

3 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have largely completed a High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G5019) setup with the following components,

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K Coffee Lake 3.7 GHz

MOBO: Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming WiFi

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V 2x8GB DDR4 SDRAM F4-2400C15D-16GVR

GPU: XFX Radeon RX 570 8GB RS Black Edition RX-570P8DBD6

OS/Apps drive: SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 250GB PCIe Gen3. X4 NVMe SSD MZ-V7E250BW

Project drive: SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 250GB PCIe Gen3. X4 NVMe SSD MZ-V7E250BW

Archive drive: Seagate Barracuda 4TB 5400 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive ST4000DM004

PSU: SeaSonic 650W 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Power Supply SSR-650RM

Optical: Lite-On DVD Burner Black SATA Model iHAS124-14

Card reader: Rosewill RDCR-11004 5.25" Data Hub

CPU cooler: Corsair Hydro H110i 280mm Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler CW-9060026-WW

Case: FSP CMT230 ATX Mid Tower PC Computer Gaming Case

Monitor: LG 32MP58HQ-P Black 31.5" FHD IPS Widescreen LED Backlight Monitor

The above components are working with the exception of the motherboard rear panel red USB 3.1 Gen-2 jack. Also, in order to keep the number of USB ports below 15, some of the blue USB 3.1 Gen-1 jacks do not have both a USB2 and USB3 port assigned to them.

I have not tested the network card yet as I don't have an internet connection in my shop. Soon I will test the internet connection and also download a new version of Logic Pro from iTunes. Before I do this, I want to make sure that my SMBIOS is set up correctly.

I have read through this guide,

Generate your own Hackintosh Serial Number

and I have some questions.

1. What is the most appropriate system definition for my hardware

Currently, my system definition is set to iMac 18,3. I have no idea if that is the best definition or not, or what the difference is. I read that I should go to everymac and find the system there that is closest match to my hardware. I have looked at that site I have no idea how to determine which model is the best match.

2. This system has never been on the internet, so I don't have an iCloud account. Do I need to set one up?

I don't know if I will ever use iMessage or iCloud on this system or not.

3. The link for the bash script simpleMLB.sh that is mentioned in some of these guides is dead (404).

There seem to be several versions of this now. There is macserial and there is MacGen, but neither of these appear to be a bash script like ones mentioned in the guide. The simpleMLB.sh script seems to be available, but is marked as depreciated. I'm not sure if the version at the link is the correct version since it is not at the original link location. I have also read that you can leave the MLB value blank.

4. Will I run into any trouble buying from iTunes if I don't get the serial number and SMBIOS settings correct?

Can someone here help with these questions?

Thanks,

LMHmedchem

Edited by LMHmedchem

1 hour ago, millusions said:

use latest clover configurator to create SMBIOS, it also has hardware descriptions.

haven't had any issues with icloud things from that method, like a year ago - yes. but recently it's doing a 99.9% job.

Everything I have read about this says that you have to enter your system definition into clover configurator and I don't know what that should be. I will have another look and see if there was something I missed.

1 hour ago, millusions said:

sign in to icloud. sign in to messages

Do you mean that I should sign into icloud and imessages, or that you haven't had any trouble doing that after creating SMBIOS with clover configurator? Is there any reason to sign into these accounts if I am never going to use them?

LMHmedchem

I think my issue is that my copy of clover configurator is too old. The highest system definition I can find is 17,1. I will try to find the newest copy and see if it has hardware information for the 18,x definitions.

What is the difference between the "Vibrant" edition and the "Global" edition? Did they just change the name with the newer versions? Most of the guides I have read say to use the Vibrant edition. Was that just the newest edition when the guides were written?

LMHmedchem

Edited by LMHmedchem