Disk Utility First Aid in recovery failed to restore volume to original state

1 post in this topic

I was trying to repair permissions today on my Mac so I ran the Disk Utility's First Aid on my drive and it said that there was an Invalid Index Key and that my disk was corrupt and I needed to run the first aid in Recovery mode.

So I opened in recovery mode and ran the first aid and it tried to fix the B-Tree of the catalog file, however there wasn't enough disk space to do this.

Then it tried to restore the disk to it's original state on mount but it couldn't do this either, I'm guessing because of lack of disk space.

(I had about 13GB of free space at this time)

Sorry I didn't get any screenshots or anything but that is basically what happened.

Now the disk is greyed out in disk utility and I can't reinstall mac os x because I would need to erase all of the data on the drive and I don't want to lose the files I have on it.

So what I thought I could try is delete my BOOTCAMP partition, which is about 100GB, and then merge the free space into the problem partition so that I can run fsck -fy in single user mode to try to repair the volume which now will have enough space to complete the operation.

However the option to delete the BOOTCAMP partition is disabled in Disk Utility.
So I did some research and found another post on AskDifferent that explained how to delete a partition from terminal (in recovery mode) by first unmounting the physical disk using diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk0 and then deleting the partition using gpt remove.

Now I tried to unmount the disk using that command and even with the force wildcard but it said: 

Forced unmount of disk0 failed: at least one volume could not be unmounted
Unmount was dissented by PID 0

The volume with PID 0 from the list provided by diskutil list is called GUID_partition_scheme.

This is as far as I got through searching for solutions online. I need help deleting the BOOTCAMP partition and merging with the greyed out Mac HD partition so that I can run fsck to hopefully restore my mac os to working order. At the moment I can't boot into the OS and can only boot into recovery mode or single user mode. Hopefully I will atleast be able to retrieve files from the HD if all else fails.

Edited by SatSunMon