X1 Carbon 3rd Gen - EM7345 WWAN - High Sierra

Khalid Mushtaq

4 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have got Sierra Wireless EM7345 and installed into X1 Carbon 3rd Generation using High Sierra 10.13.6 but I am unable to get it working.

- I have renamed CellPhoneHelper.kext in /S/L/E to CellPhoneHelper.kext.bak and moved to /L/E after editing and tried after rebuilding cache but no success ( screenshot attached )

- Card is recognized and I can see it in IOREG, USB but not anything in WWAN ( screenshots attached )

- I am surprised why it is showing as USB under Ethernet Cards in System Information ( screenshot attached )

I have attached screenshots please let me know how I can get it working.

Thanks in advance.

Khalid

Screen Shot 2019-03-12 at 5.17.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-12 at 5.18.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-12 at 5.19.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-12 at 5.19.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-12 at 5.27.00 PM.png

1 hour ago, Hervé said:
  1. you've clearly done something wrong if your WWAN module -a USB device by its own very nature- gets listed under the Ethernet category after your attempted CellPhoneHelper patch.

It is showing without CellPhoneHelper patch.

1 hour ago, Hervé said:

A few comments:

1. it's not a good idea to rename the CellPhoneHelper in S/L/E whilst placing a patched version in /L/E. What you should do instead is keep the vanilla version untouched in /S/L/E and increase the version of the patched kext in /L/E. In the presence of 2 x kexts carrying the same name, OS X/macOS will only load the highest version. If both kext carry the same version, both will load with unavoidable/inevitable risk of conflict...

I have attached screenshots after making this change. Both kexts are showing but no one is being loaded.

Why AppleUSBNCM.kext is being loaded? See screenshot please.

Screen Shot 2019-03-12 at 8.32.15 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-12 at 8.34.09 PM.png

2 hours ago, Hervé said:

1) One cannot simply just add a profile into CellPhopneHelper; it has to be relevant to the hardware (chipset).

2) You have to ensure your WWAN module is activated in the right mode before you can register it into macOS and use it.

Can you please guide me how to do these changes properly? And please explain about right mode in the WWAN module...