Name: Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro GTX
BIOS: XMAKB5RRP0804

EC: EXMAKB5RRP04

Processor: Core i5-8250U

Sys. Mem. Speed: 2400 Mhz

RAM Amt.: 8 GB

HD: Samsung MZVLB256HAHQ-00000

Hi guys,

New to the whole Hackintosh thing - got into the idea through a youtube video. The above spec would appear to suggest that previous efforts on the older generation Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro should, for the most part, suffice to get this thing running as well. Sadly, after 20 different Clover setups, of which I cannot remember all mind you, I'm not so sure whether I can get it working anymore.

The problems basically start from almost the start. I've disabled Secure Boot and made my MacOS installation USB drive. I've tried this using the two methods available (1) through an existing Mac and using DiskMaker X  described in this video: yt://URtiCmVewNA

and this one: yt://72sPmkpxCvc (2) using the "create USB from scratch using only Windows" route: insanelymac://329828. I've used the "daliansky" clover setup that is readily available on github: gh://daliansky/XiaoMi-Pro.

I've also used multiple USB drives and multiple internal storage devices, used a variety of file systems (MacOSext (J) and also a few APFS ones based on the last error shown below) and multiple erases, including secure erase. I've also used the "-converttoapfs no" argument that is sometimes thrown around, but at this point my efforts are no longer focused.

All of these efforts result in the exactly same issue. I've tried typing up as much useful stuff as I could since the kernel panic happens really fast:

osinstallersetupd[561]: OSISDownloadOperation: totalEstimate=397.00000, significantDownload=1

osinstallersetupd[561]: OSISDownloadOperation: No Ial update found on http://swscan...

osinstallersetupd[561]: OSISDownloadOperation: No native mechanism to verify InstallESD.dmg

osinstallersetupd[561]: OSISDownloadOperation: No native mechanism to verify AppleDiagonstics.dmg

osinstallersetupd[561]: OSISDownloadOperation: No native mechanism to verify AppleDiagonstics.chunklist

osinstallersetupd[561]: OSISDownloadOperation: No native mechanism to verify InstallInfo.plist

osinstallersetupd[561]: Personalization is not required for the running system

osinstallersetupd[561]: Warning: couldn't find on-disk package for specificier: <PKPackage...

osinstallersetupd[561]: Operation queue succeeded

osishelperd[578]: isModernOS = 1

Installer Progress[180]: IASClearInstallProgress: Clearing Registry

Installer Progress[180]: IASSetCurrentInstallPhaselist: phases set to (

Installer Progress[180]: IASSetCurrentInstallPhase: Current phase name set to "Boot 1"

osishelperd[578]: Failed to set NVRAM property.

osinstallersetupd[561]: Target is not convertible to APFS: You may not install to this ...

osishelperd[578]: Failed to prep /Volumes/OS X Base System 1 for brtool

opendirectoryd[186]: [default] Failed to open file <private> [2: No such file or directory]

Using the terminal and including "--converttoapfs no" doesn't change anything sadly, although I do get to that "second screen" (after first reboot) where it shows the Apple logo, the progress bar, and "18 minutes remaining". 

In the above the dots indicate my telephone screen capture didn't catch the whole thing, but I'm guessing (hoping) it's clear what's going wrong from the above Installer Log.

Some extra detail: the macOS installer crashes if I leave it to idle, so perhaps something is going wrong with a driver somewhere.

Some questions to ask:

- What changed when comparing my BIOS to the recommended one? (Sadly the other BIOS does not support the dedicated GPU or so it would seem.)

- How does the change in dGPU affect the drivers needed during OS installation?

My efforts for (1) were pretty moot since everything is in Chinese. And for (2) I hoped I could get some pointers where I could look first since the Clover wiki is a massive chunk of jargon that I can't make heads or tails of.

Cheers

~E

Edited by euryris