AppleALC/AppleHDA/VoodooHDA for DIs (Tascam US-1800, Line 6 Tone Port KB37)

LMHmedchem

1 post in this topic

Hello,

I am finishing up a build to run Logic Pro X. I have most of the installations issues resolved and am down to audio. Audio is obviously critically important here because this is an audio editing box.

Audio input will come through two USB 2 DI devices; a Tascam US-1800, and a Line 6 Tone Port KB37. The motherboard is a GA z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming WiFi, which uses the Realtek ALC1220 codec. I don't actually know if there are separate codecs associated with the DI hardware or software. As said, this will run into Logic Pro X and the installation is High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G65).

I need advice on how to proceed with audio. At the moment, I have VoodooHDA installed using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]. That was easy to do and has my CD player working through a set of Boston Acoustics amplified speakers connected to the rear panel 1/8" headphone jack. The sound through that setup is very nice.

I have no idea about the DI IO through USB and how the different audio options will handle that. Are there any suggestions from users here? What is the typical approach for audio editing rigs? My general understanding is that AppleALC can give better results, but may be more difficult to set up than VoodooHDA. It is unclear to me what the difference is between AppleALC and AppleHDA. The audio on this needs to work very well and be very stable. I probably won't be regularly updating the OS once it is set up, so maintaining the HDA through updates is probably not a major consideration.

Can both VoodooHDA and AppleALC or AppleHDA be installed at the same time in a setup where I can choose which to use after the OS is booted? If not, can someone let me know the best way to alternate among the options for testing, such as with multiple Config.plist files selected at Clover boot?

Let me know if it is useful to post Config.plist or other debug information.

LMHmedchem