AR5BHB112 with chipset AR9380

nijhawank

8 posts in this topic

Please don't ignore the topic saying use a supported broadcom wifi card. I would have but I want a half-mini pcie card that works in both windows and macos and with most of my search on internet I couldn't find one. Please let me know if I'm wrong.

So I mistakenly ordered AR5BHB112 per https://osxlatitude.com/forums/topic/11138-inventory-of-supportedunsupported-wireless-cards-2-sierra-mojave/ that said AR5BHB112 is natively supported (of course Mojave needed kexts from High Sierra).

Later I found that only the full size pcie version which is AR5BXB112 works and AR5BHB112 though detected fails to find any networks even though it has the same chipset as AR5BXB112.

The problem is that the wifi card is never powered-up. How I know this is that my laptop has an inbuilt led indicator to indicate wifi status. With windows or linux, I see it turned on. But with macos, even if macos says the wifi is turned on, the led indicator is off. Therefore it fails to find any wifi networks because the wifi card is not powered up.

Could there be a hack to turn it on? May be then, it will find the networks.

@toleda @RehabMan

29 minutes ago, Hervé said:

What do you mean by "the card is never powered-up" ? Doesn't it register in IOReg at all? If it does -as I expect- please post the cards PCI ids.

My laptop has led indicators for harddisk activity, bluetooth and wifi radios. When I'm using windows or Linux, these leds correctly show if bluetooth or wifi radios are turned on or off. 

With macOS, I saw that wifi led indicator never turns on even if macOS reports that wifi is turned on. That's what I said that card is probably never powered or radios were never turned on by macOS even though it says so. Power status indicators

4 Bluetooth status
  • Green: The feature is on, and the radio link is ready for use, or the data is being transmitted.
  • Off: The Bluetooth feature is disabled.
5 Wireless LAN/WAN/WiMAX status
  • Green: The wireless LAN feature (the 802.11b/g Standard, 802.11a/b/g or 802.11n draft 2.0), wireless WAN feature or WiMAX feature is on, and the radio link is ready for use, or the data is being transmitted.
  • Off: Wireless network devices are disabled or the radio is turned off.

17 minutes ago, Hervé said:

You're totally mistaken: the wifi LED never lits up under OS X/macOS. Never did. That's a general pattern across the board.

Now, can you please answer the questions re: IOReg and PCI ids? Thank you.

Ok, I'll be able to confirm the LED behavior as I've ordered another card AR5B97 that work in macOS.

Regarding IOReg and PCI ids, I'll be able to provide them by tomorrow as I'm not in front of that laptop.

Perfecto. I will try your suggestions over the weekend. Very much appreciate your prompt responses and help in this regard.

Otherwise, the card works fine on Windows 10 with the default drivers automatically discovered by Windows. It's a dual boot (Windows 10 + Mojave) machine (T410). I'm able to connect to both of my home 2.4 and 5ghz networks.

I live in USA.

While researching on the topic, I found that the window tool may not work on AR9380 (the chipset inside AR5BHB112) and I may have to use the Linux version but the source code to iwleeprom might need to be adjusted for AR9380.

I couldn't find much on what to adjust in iwleeprom for AR9380, I found this https://github.com/andyvand/AtherosROMKit

I don't want to rebrand the card (because my T410 Bios is already modded for allowing all wifi cards) but just set the correct regdomain / countrycode as you suggested.

Can you point me what should be the next steps.

Hi Herve,

I installed the driver from commview and then ran the RCU that you provided but it said "Not an Atheros based card". I did run it in Adminstrator mode.

Then I downloaded another RCU utility directly from tamos and it said "no need to use this utility as all channels are enabled", see the last screenshot.

Computer.png.a616ff054514baf2291938023df43388.png

RCU.png

Error.png