MIRKOSOFT

Retrocomputing Qs

4 posts in this topic

Hello!

I have installed Mac OSX Tiger.

Want to ask what a requirements has Leopard and/or Snow Leopard x86

Exact CPU (Intel), cores count, DEP, Virtualizatinm, RAM, VideoRAM and other.

Also - I have Q if exist any project like OSX86 for MacOS 8 or 9 - running these 68k/PPC OSes on Intel x86.

Q is also about Apple GSOS - like GEOS for C64/128 and Apple II has version for DOS - exist anything like this?

Thank you for aech help.

Miro

Advertisement

https://support.apple.com/kb/sp517?locale=en_US

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP575?locale=en_US

Leopard and Snow Leopard require a late 32bit CPU minimum (eg: some late P4, Pentium M, Core Solo/Core Duo, etc.) and a compatible graphics card (eg: GMA900 or GMA950 or other supported discrete card).

With regards to AMD platforms, these always require a special kernel to support non-Intel CPUs.

For the rest, scrounge the Net for emulators. You'll find a few.

Edited by Hervé

Thank you!

I have one retro-notebook with tehese specs:

HP Compaq Evo Notebook N1000v
CPU Intel Pentium 4 2.2 GHz Cache L2 - 512 KB
1 GB DDR SDRAM 266 MHz / PC2100 - 266 MHz SO-DIMM 200-pin
ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 - 32 MB DDR SDRAM 1400 x 1050 (SXGA+)
Integrated Microphone, stereo speakers, keyboard, touchpad, display
DriveLock, Smart Card security, administrator password, memory change alert, ownership tag, security lock slot, wake on LAN
3.5" 1.44 MB floppy
CD-RW / DVD-ROM combo
10/100 Ethernet
IEEE 802.2, IEEE 802.3, IEEE 802.3u compliant

Looks like Leopard can work, or even Snow Leopard?

Please confirm if yes and if you can add any links to download bootable DVD.

Thank you very much!

Miro

Ouh, that's quite a museum piece!

ftp://priede.bf.lu.lv/pub/OS/datori/Compaq/Evo_N1000v/QuickSpecs.html

Very doubtful about Leopard and a most definitive "No" for Snow Leopard. This is a Northwood Pentium 4-M laptop (i845/ICH3-M or i85x/ICH4-M chipset?) so very old dinosaur dating back to 2002 or 2003 which shipped with Win 2000 or Win XP... 1st Intel-compatible version of OS X came out in 2006 for Intel architectures well beyond that (Core Solo/Core Duo). In addition, if the ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 was fitted to some PowerBook G4 3,x and eMac models, I believe official support stopped at Tiger 10.4.11, so probably no support in Leopard. If that were the case, the PC would be unusable under Leopard if you ever managed to install that version.

By all means, search the Internet (and this forum) for installation (attempts) of Leopard on Pentium 4 systems. You'll probably find it only worked with late Prescott models fitted with SSE3 instructions set and late Pentium D 64bit dual-core models.

To me, this Compaq Evo N1000v is just too old and obsolete to run any Mac OS X version beyond Tiger.

To give you an example, the oldest Hackintoshed laptop in still run on rare occasions is a 2005 Dell Inspiron 6000 (see signature). It's fitted with a 32bit non-SSE3 single core (HW overclocked) Dothan Pentium M 745A, Intel 915GM chipset, ICH6 I/O controller, GMA900 integrated graphics, 2GB DDR2-533 RAM and an IDE HDD. These specs are fully supported by Leopard -which the laptop runs perfectly- but Snow Leopard is a no go (trouble with ICH6-M controller in IDE mode and no support for GMA900 graphics).

Edited by Hervé