Z390: macOS corrupts firmware settings and black screen at reboot

r!ppz

6 posts in this topic

I am running 10.13.6 (17G4015) on my new hack (see signature). Most things work properly but shutdown and restart are awkward. After I restart or shutdown the screen goes black and the fans are going up for about 10 seconds. Then the computer starts again or shuts down (in case of shut down). Please mind that this does NOT happen when I restart or shutdown from windows.

After a few restarts macOS won't boot again and it always hangs after loading the efi image:

IMG_3765.jpg.8ec5105a609de3188c803dbea680a9df.jpg

At this point even Windows won't start. It just shows a black screen and nothing more. Only a cmos reset resolves this situation. Therefore my suspicion is that macOS somehow corrupts the firmware settings.

I attached my complete clover directory. You also find there my original DSDT (ACPI/origin) and a preboot.log (misc). I guess some DSDT patches must be applied to resolve this situation. Maybe some DSDT wizard can help.

CLOVER.zip

Edited by r!ppz

I just tried even removing all USB devices. No change. But shutdown works properly. I could not even reproduce the problem that a shutdown results in a restart with all USB attached. I only saw that once because I usually only reboot. I adjusted the topic to remove this issue.

The corruption and black screen + loud fans problem persists.

Edited by r!ppz

I tried aptiofixdrv which does not show this behaviour (reboot is instant as it should). But with this driver the Nvidia web driver does not load ( I have unaccelerated graphics). Maybe the Nvidia web driver is the culprit?

But no matter the combination I use. Sleep always wrecks the system completely:

1. Only display goes off.

2. Computer does not actually sleep (fan etc is still running)

3. Wakeup is impossible. 

4. Black screen even after power cycle. Only cmos reset fixes it.