Mac and DOS partition together?

3 posts in this topic

Hi!

I'm here new and also Mac newbie.

I own Mac SE and now tried to install OSX86 Tiger on old Intel notebook.

I'm yet Windows and DOS user and programmer.

I'm DOS friendly from 16-bit applications development and some software requires DOS.

I tried to install OSX86 and DOS together on single disk 'cause notebooks cannot handle two or more.

When I created DOS style partition, DOS was working, installation of OSX86 finished and after reboot OSX tried to start but left hanging.

I think it is 'cause partition table must to be created in OSX Disk Utility.

It is really so, so I created partition table by this way.

I installed and started OSX86 correctly, then installed MS-DOS 7.10 leaving Apple bootloader untouched.

OSX86 works and list of OSes is OSX and Foreign System.

I tried to start DOS, but it reports invalid disk - after DOS install before reboot DOS was working.

So, sure is that DOS and Mac partition table are not compatible and not interchangeable.

I tried to install Linux Mint type Commodore OS Vision and they working together.

So, Q is:

Is possible to override this problem? No matter of way - tools or disk managers or so...

I tried to use DOS based bootloader and then it attempted to start OSX, but it hangs only.

If is any way to get DOS and OSX86 working together can anybody help me?

Why I need notebook:

It is old notebook with COM and LPT ports also other IO, even floppy disk drive and this I need to use for important DOS software.

Modern computers missing them, near all.

Why don't use modern computer for even newer OSX? It is for me problem 'cause I can't have running Windows and DOS or OSX together, then I can only switch to OSX...

Linux is not so important.

I want to develop software for OSX and this can bring me chance.

Even Windows programs can run on OSX and Linux by Crossover - so even this is great, only don't know if can Crossover run DOS software on OSX - Windows has NTVDM (NT Virtual DOS Machine) subsystem for running 16-bit apps even on 64-bit Windows, this maybe can be applied with Crossover, but I think not applicable.

I heard never about any software for running OSX apps on Windows or Linux.

Running Windows apps on Linux can run Crossover or Wine, DOS apps I discovered not yet.

But Linux apps are bit supported in Windows 10 by Linux subsystem, still needs enhance.

So - first - I know that OSX cannot to be installed on other than Apple hardware, but I was searching for forum where is talking about Windows and OSX together - I think I found it here. My reason for running OSX on non-Apple hardware is development for OSX, not only use. So, if you will judge me or even crucify, think about what I want to bring or steal to/from Mac OSX.

Thank you for each help, reply, patience.

Miro

Mac SE as in 30yr old 68000-based compact model? Congratulations! Do you use it much?

If you want to develop software for OS X (or macOS as it's been since 2016), get a modern 64bit computer. Contrary to your 1st belief, PC platforms have been capable to install and run OS X (and subsequently macOS) fully natively since 2005/2006. That's what's been called a Hackintosh for the last 12 years or so! :lol:

You obviously need a hardware platform compatible with OS X (I won't even say macOS) so anything as old or ancient as you tend to imply with an old Intel notebook running 1996 MS-DOS 7.10 (of Win95/Win98 origin) may not meet the minimum requirements, even for an OS X version as old as 2005 Tiger. You undoubtedly know that, for the last 20+years, operating systems have been relying more and more heavily on drivers to support hardware components of the underlying computer platform so if your target OS X version is unable to fully support the computer's hardware (due to lack of drivers), you'll be running in limping mode at best. This may not be a blocking issue when/if all you want to do is software development but such development and associated testing will obviously get quite limited -not to say basic- before long. This being said, if you've managed to install and/or run Tiger so far, I guess you have at least an SSE2-capable Pentium 4 or Athlon 64 computer. Still, you probably would not go much further than Leopard 10.5 on old hardware. That's where most if not all 32bit Pentium M laptops stop for instance. 2011 Mac OS X Lion 10.7 was the last to support 32bit kernel mode and it nevertheless required a 64bit Core2Duo CPU minimum.

This being said, I can't see why, in late 2018, anyone would want to start software development for OS X on old hardware running Tiger when OS X has been 64bit only since 2012 and support for 32bit apps will be dropped in next macOS version. I would suggest you get some decent recent computer for your OS X/macOS development purposes and keep your old platform for your 16bit/MS-DOS stuff-only.

Personally speaking, I can't think of anything you would "want to bring or steal to/from Mac OSX" out of derelict hardware and obsolete Tiger 10.4. :no:

Today, most recent versions of Apple's Mac OS (i.e. macOS) require a SSE4-capable CPU and nothing older than a Core2Duo which is, itself, old technology/generation (current Mojave 10.14 no longer officially supports CPUs without SSE4.2 instructions set such as C2D/C2Q). Mac SE and 16bit/MS-DOS belonged to late 20th century; nothing wrong with the past but, if it's software development you want to do, catching up on 21st century stuff might be a little overdue...

Edited by Hervé

Ok, understand.

Currently I'm developing applications for Windows 64-bit/32-bit, standard or UWP, also for DOS.

I began with Linux, currently Mint 32-bit (only attempt).

I have main computer featuring:

Asus Z-270A Prime MBusing UEFI incl. SecureBoot with Intel Core i5 CPU w/ DEP, VT-x and integrated GPU, 20GB DDR4 RAM, ~7TB storage space with Windows 10.1803 x64

I know it is short info, but I think it can be enough.

I wanted to start with Tiger for having running Windows and OSX at once and I think Tiger is last one which supports Rosetta (UniBin) possibly run on many platforms (68k-PPC-iCPU32/64).

Really I'm also developer of software for 8-bit computers incl. Apple and also MacOS on MacSE 68k architecture. Of course going forward needs else many steps...

If my main PC specs allows me install Mojave, I try it.

I want to ask again one Q.

When I create DOSWIN partition table, is possible to adapt OSX Tiger partition to it corectly?

I want to leave Tiger always installed.

Thank you for reply on these Qs and thank you very much for not crucify me.

Miro