Need help with 10.13.6 SU and GTX 1080

sebtech

3 posts in this topic

Hi !

I really need help to understand what is going wrong with my setup.

During 2 years I was on macOS Sierra and everything was fine, I use this workstation to work everyday (3D and Animation stuffs), but I had to update to High Sierra due a software update.
Of course I did a fresh install for macOS High Sierra. Everything was fine until I reached the step of nvidia web drivers. I installed them, without any issue, set "NvidiaWeb" enabled into clover and restart.

I can easily see "NVDAStartupWeb : Web" on logs when it's booting so it seems to be good, BUT after a few seconds of boot logs, it become very slow, so slow that macOS starts up after around 10 min ! The most stranger thing is my GPU cards disappears form "about this mac " pop up and are not present in slot one and two from preferences panels. Please also note that when web drivers are enable the PCI configuration into the system report become empty. Also, since web drivers are enabled macOS is very unstable and I can find a new folder with a file "Firmware.scap" into the EFI partition..

Anyone got an idea to start digging ?

my configuration :

- Asus Sabertooh X99 (up to date and patched, MSR unlocked)

- i7 6950X

- 2x GTX 1080

- 64GB DDR4

- NVME 970 (APFS - for macOS)

Please also find my EFI folder.

Thanks in advance.

Capture d’écran 2018-11-03 à 23.37.05.png

Sans titre.jpg

EFI.zip

I'm bringing some news.

I've done some deeper tests and the issue seems to be the dual GPU configuration.

When I unplugged my 2nd GTX 1080, boot looks fine, my first card is displayed into the information and startup time is quick.

When I plugged the two cards, boot time is around 10 min and every things is unstable...

Dual GPU's was working well on 10.12, do you have any idea how to fix it ? 

I found the solution myself.

It came from the setting "Above 4G Decoding". When enabled, macOS won't boot correctly with 2 Nvidia GPUs.
When I turned it off, it boots quickly and my 2 cards are seen by the system with webdrivers.

Anybody got an explication ?