Boot Camp on Mac 10.13.6

wstrohm

1 post in this topic

Cannot install Windows 7 on MacBook Air (13" mid-2013) running MacOS 10.13.6. Long story here. Originally, using the OEM 128 GB NVMe SSD, had one success with Boot Camp Assistant and a 36 GB Boot Camp partition. But it left only 8 GB free for apps. The partition could not be sized other than 8 GB or 36 GB because the Boot Camp Assistant software was failing in some way. I wanted more storage anyway, so I replaced the OEM SSD with a Kingston 480 GB NVMe SSD (+ Sintech adapter). That SSD worked (and works) fine, under Mac OS. Tried installing Windows 7 Ultimate once again using same process, but the partition sizes available were still only 8 GB and 36 GB.

I reinstalled MacOS 10.13.6 and that fixed the Boot Camp partitioning and allowed me a "Divide Equally" choice, so now I had (and have) 240 GB for Mac OS and 240 GB for a Windows partition. But now after the partitioning, and using either my original Microsoft download of the Win 7 ISO or a re-download of it, the Windows installer on my Kingston USB2 "Traveler" flash drive (which worked before) fails. Boot Camp Assistant takes me through the steps choosing the Windows installer as the startup disk, the computer does restart, I can see the screen light up to a dark (but not black) display, but the USB2 flash drive LED light is off (no activity compared to when it was/is used on Mac OS), and nothing else happens. If I manually choose the Windows installer by powering up with the Option key pressed, I get the choice of "Windows" or "MBA SSD" (the Mac OS partition), I can select the "Windows" icon, but although the computer restarts as I mentioned, the USB2 drive acts dormant. But this is the same flash drive I used to install Windows on the 128 GB OEM SSD earlier!

Anyone? Thanks for reading!