P7H55M-LX SATA :: 'High Sierra' installation issue

osx151212

1 post in this topic

Hello,

I am looking for a help with 'High Sierra' installation on 'P7H55M-LX' mainboard (BIOS 0406). 

Configuration
Mainboard: P7H55M-LX  (https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P7H55M_LX/HelpDesk_Download/)
BIOS: 0406  (SATA in ACHI mode)
CPU: i3 540
RAM: 4GB
HDD: WD 500GB BLUE
NIC: onboard
SOUND: onboard
VIDEO: GeForce 8400

Clover - r4111:
<key>BooterConfig</key>
<string>0x28</string>

<key>CsrActiveConfig</key>

<string>0x67</string>

Some details:

I am able to install 'High Sierra' on a disk (WD 500GB Blue) connected through 'SATA to USB' adapter -- the computer boots and works properly.

If the same disk connected to internal SATA port (Port 1 and Port 5 was tried) then installation proceeds to the point where 'Disk Utility' should allow me to partition disk.

'Disk Utility' can see the disk but I can not partition it. I have searched the internet, there was suggestions to erase the 'raw' disk - this operation ends with an error 'Unable to write last block of the device'.

No matter what I tried to do in 'Disk Utility' of 'High Sierra' (10.13.x) I can not partition the disk. It looks like 'Disk Utility' can detect the disk but can not 'talk' to it properly.

I was able to install and update 'Sierra' into this disk connected to internal SATA port in same computer, there was not issue to partition the disk. The computer after installation performed well, NIC/Sound worked properly with extra kexts, the computer goes into sleep and wakes properly.

I can partition the disk if I boot 'Knoppix Live' linux (EFI, HSF+ partitions, MSDOS, EXT3/4), then again after loading 'High Sierra' installation to the point 'Disk Utility' -- I face same issue with the disk partition (or to be more correct SATA access).
I was able to partition the disk in 'Disk Utility' of 'Sierra' (10.12.x) installation, if I reboot and proceed with 'High Sierra' install -- then it does not see created in previous step partitions.

I am mystified by this problem, it is obvious that the problem is not with the disk but that 'High Sierra' installation is not able to communicate properly on SATA with the disk.

If I try to boot same disk with 'High Sierra', pre-installed through 'SATA to USB' adapter, then boot process stops with a message about 'apfs' and after a while gives 'still waiting for root device' then immediately the screen gets garbled.

I've attempted to boot with an options '-x -v -f npci=0x2000 /0x3000 PCIRootID=1/0', Clover ACPI DSDT patching (AddDTPG, FixHPET, FixIPIC, FixSATA, FixUSB) in various combinations with same outcome. I've tried SATA in ACHI mode, IDE mode (Enhanced/Compatibility) without any success. BIOS was flashed from version 0402 to 0406 with no change.

Does anybody faced this issue and know about a solution?

osx151212 

CLOVER.zip

Edited by osx151212