Asus X99 A II build needs help with Terminal install SSD via Mac Pro 2013 pcie bay/ssd

Sir Les

7 posts in this topic

Hello all.

To build up a SSD External Drive for the ASUS x99 A II board (bios hacked),moved the cpu Jumper Power (as instructed.) bios setup (as Instructed for).

and Thunderbolt ex3 card, eventually= for audio devices I have.

intel 5960x cpu.

Nvidia GTX 1070 8gb WF GPU, or ATI R7 240, or Ati 5770, or what is best stable, and easiest can be sought to get.

32gb of Gskills ddr4 3000,

Adata SSD SU, or sp,.

or Samsung SSD.

kingston hyper x savage 240gb.

Or Corsair M550 SSD...what be best that I do have?

With the Mac Pro late 2013 El Capitan system, with Promise r4 raid aray, or via PCIe bay, using a SATA card and Adata SSDs, or Samsung, or Crucial, or kingston, Drives of the SSD form, if Possible?..or the Proper Terminal command Syntext To get the High sierra.app installer to write to the External Drive with media...and install the apps to hack in that..etc...And any other tricks or tweaks addons and the like of instructions which will at least get this to install...Any help doing it, so it does it right...is what I am seeking here...M.2 is possible there is a port, but I believe it may cause issues with irqs, or shared states, or turn off certain Pci slots, to the Thunderbolt card (PCIe slot three, works with windows 10) if put into the build.

I have tried to do a USB Sierra.app install boot stick.using terminal commands with media, and installing clover (as Instructed) it does boot into clover on the asus system from the usb..does not seem to install to the SSD Tried two Adata drives of the Su format 1tb and 500gb..it tries, I see a apple with a line moving , then it stops..black screen..Tried with -v...hangs, or just nothing happens and reboots to beep codes...one long, three short...when powered down, and turned back on, it boots back to usb...and it starts all over when hitting the clover installer again, and trying different things, not mentioned in the Asus x99 A II spec or instructions, Just does nothing here to help, and digging in to other post, seems to be leading me further from the said working Build instructions, which do not seem to work as stated here..If it be a usb wired mouse, or keyboard causing issues?..never get to terminal windows to follow any other instructions to erase/format the drive, already formatted on the Mac, and install the Sierra OS never happens, loop back ....Seeing as some techs told me, not to use Sierra as a DAW platform....IS it best to over look sierra....and do a fresh/clean/new/plain install with High Sierra.app?

So with the gear I got...Is it possible just to make the boot SSD on the MAC, for the Asus x99 A II board, and move the SSD to the Asus system all fixed up to boot into, and ready with all needed add ons, already put in place so it boots directly to the SSD, and then ...tweak and add on to the build that way?...

As I know nothing about command line in Terminal, or Macs in general, but am learning.

..High Sierra.app, with the instructions I have for Sierra.app command, and Asus build of this board type, is not letting me change to High Sierra.app installer, when changing the terminal command name of the installer...(does not change to the installer correctly?and cannot find, is posted in terminal, so it is a syntex error on my part to direct properly to the Install High Sierra app, which is in the Applications folder as latest build from Apple Store)...So, if it is possible to skip the USB?, and do a SSD boot disk, might solve the problem of lock up with the usb method, I seem to be having issues with?

tried all the usb ports...still no go.

Hope I explained it properly...Any help on getting this build to work, would be greatly thanked.

regards!

Les

Edited by Sir Les

This is the Build I am trying: The Perfect Customac-Pro: X99-A II, i7-6950X, 128GB G.Skill TridentZ, Aorus GTX 1080 TI Xtreme.

This is the terminal command line for sierra to USB.

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app --no interaction

How to =change it to install High Sierra.app, and if so usb so it be...But, if any other method, as might be a possible way?... how to put proper to External ssd in the proper wording in terminal?...if so possible, and may work better if a solution might be, and the USB being dropped when installing might be a round about way?...Just seeking who to ask, and how to do?...Do it with the same instructions, and USB..with a High Sierra.app...Might make a Proper DAW Audio Machine, that does not have issues with DAW software and or Device Drivers,..As my Audio Tech advised me, Sierra messed up his Mac and DAW software when he updated...And to not update from El capitan, until they fix the issues.

Not sure if I have to build up to it using a base OSX...?..Snow Lep...or Mountain lion...As, I am unaware is necessary, but may have to build up slowly with what might work from DVD and ....Just reading into that now...all new to me...and some saying USB might not be proper for some, and to use certain usb ports..helps some get it working, when they said it does what I am seeing occur here....Yet moving to back ports 2.0 and 3.0 seem to boot, yet, not install fully, to reboot to usb as a working Boot of the beginning to install page..To select the Terminal and format, select language, or install process to fully get into...it just reboots back to clover, and or has to be powered down, as nothing shows up on screen, or it lists with -v, but does not get past a few lines, and hangs for hours.

Mac is not really my platform, never installed anything OS wise, it came already done...Might have to see what can be done to test High Sierra on the MAC Pro, without wiping out my exsisting El Capitan and my working stable applications...But it seems to be more solid than MS OS PCs ,for me with the MAC Pro at this time trying it out.

So, A Hackintosh PC with Haswell E 8 cores, and faster memory, with thunderbolt 3...added to the mix...Would be if stable...better than windows 10, and the constant bug hunt,update, and upgrade pushing, and reset of my settings..MS likes to change on their whim, along with installing their x box and games without permission, is getting lame around here causing me issues, where none should be.

So, a solution be sought for the machines I bought to get off of MS OS...and the troubleshooting hat retired.

Is it possible?

Edited by Sir Les

found this terminal command:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app --nointeraction

Correct terminal install command to usb boot device, and installer for High Sierra.app out of the application folder..(found it)...Then install clover to the usb, to the method reporting instructions works with Flashed Hacked x99 Asus Bios....Bios method setup , should work in the rest of todo.. of the same custom mac instruction for sierra?...and same board being custom mac build ....or is something different in the install process needed to kindle in before, If anyone knows?...

Or how to over ride the USB method..and put it on a Sata SSD..hack some so it boots on the x99 asus board, and then do the rest.

Any other way, if the usb still does not fully install, as am witnessing with sierra....Might be my solution sought soon..

going to try again with High sierra and usb...for now...while I wait on any help here to try other methods...if any.

Thanks

one puzzel in the bios, there is a Haswell HFS adjust=disabled.

anyone know what that is?...As I am using Haswell cpu E 5960x 8 core.

and does the above 4g decode help with the first install of the OSX High Sierra be enable help or not?

any help or advice ..and or other terminal commands, and or bootable ssd making..from a ssd instead of usb?..I think usb and some kind of sleep mode might be hindering this install process here.

or the usb is getting lost some how before it completes installation, when trying the sierra install...many time over, yet always something different happens when trying to do so, with usb.

Any way...Thanks for the forum space...Pondering it out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply....

I am still trying to get this to install on a Adata 1tb ssd..seems to black out half way through, and get stuck or something of a loop back loop to ..black screen with nvida 1070 4gb WF..(dual fans)

So thanks for some of that pp2dp

I had a techie make a usb (not here) some issues again with the Nvidia driver or card,..some stuck code, but was fixed and then it installs the Sierra to the Adata 1tb ssd..it boots up, was made bootable..(issues with the video card remain, with web driver for that build, and chrome Browser is glitchy) ..still working onwards towards"" High Sierra "" and better Web drivers...and the  "" Asus thunderbolt 3ex card installed""..

I did not see the usb get made, nor what was done in the tweaks to put, or put by the techie...he was following some instructions from unknown sources..and did know more about the processing of the information.

So I have hope now more so, I should learn how to.. ...If it can be done when it is put proper all things in the usb boot loader, to get it installed, up and running..."High Sierra 10.13.6."

I just cannot seem to pass Go, in the installer method...must be the green ears, and sour eyes..All this reading..and links to other text, or sights, and or how to videos..breaks up the instructions to get it sorted.

Sorry if I be a dweeb in MAC ethics..or PC ..or posting of other site intel to this one...if any help it be...I do try...and try again, and again, and again, sometimes pays off even if it helps only one find a note, or a way...To make it better.

Is a good thing!

Cheers.

Ok..we got it going here....whoop whoop!

Not sure if all is working proper yet though.

Asus ThunderboltEx 3 works...Last pcie x16 slot...(third slot did not work, but works with windows)

Motu 828x audio device is working.

onboard sound works.

internet ethernet works.

nvidia 1070 4gb windforce dual video card works (web driver)

memory is working.

it installed finally, as thought, something with video settings..and I believe something in the bios, =loaded PK to keep the "usb" working was not removed, but others were removed..as listed to remove all...might be a thing to point out, did not keep usb key detect...so my tech tried to keep on PK loaded for usb...and it went along fine into the install from usb..and not loosing usb connection while installing.

So, just some pilot adjustments.

Again sorry if I used other web info, or posted any links to, or lead to by posting here for any help...if I broke Protocols of the forum...sorry.

But that x99 custom for Asus A II x99..does work, when someone knows the what, how to, and when to..of it, more than me.

Certainly not for green people like me to get into...But , it now works.

Thanks for the help.

Keep plugging in new and better ways.

Looking into Pandora's box for the next one to make x99 thunderbolt 2 or 3...without MS OS buggering it all up..

Regards!

Sir Les