Clover doesn't boot Windows 7 Legacy

naquaada

1 post in this topic

Hello,

I'm using multiboot systems on one harddisk, but actual versions of Clover aren't booting Windows anymore. The last version that booted Windows 7 was Clover 3882, the last version with 32bit support. It was never possible for me to boot Linux from Clover, I did this always with EasyBCD using the Windows 7 bootloader. I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Retail, no OEM version.

My systems are all using Legacy BIOS and MBR partition table. I have only two UEFI boards and BIOS/MBR works fine, so I make all of them BIOS-compatible. If you do a good calculation it's no problem to create a 10-partition MBR drive in gparted. I have learned to hate EFI, my Chuwi Hi10 Pro tablet has EFI and a new Laptop of a friend had EFI, both are not even able to boot from a normal MBR USB stick. Well, my friend has now a Legacy compatible laptop which works much better. He got a Lenovo Legion Y520 for a great price, and we'll hope to get OSx86 working.

So, why it's not possible to boot Windows 7 from a MBR partition anymore? Actually I'm using Clover 4200, but had newer versions tested. My standard MBR layout on all drives are looking like this:

128 MB Clover partition HFS+ (Primary/Active)

xxx GB Windows partiton NTFS (Primary)

xx GB Windows bootloader/swap partition (Primary)

Extended partition

xxx GB OSx86 (logical)

... and so on.

The Windows swap partition contains the pagefile.sys and the bootloader, I also have the Firefox cache here, so these small files don't fragment the system partition.

I'm using Clover 3882 on my Xeon 771 systems because I'm still using Leopard 10.5.8 for several reasons. But reverting to 3882 on my Core i7-3770-Systems to boot Windows sounds weird to me.

Greets, naquaada.