High Sierra system with Clover restarts randomly

a1337

2 posts in this topic

I recently started experiencing odd and random reboots on my High Sierra system. Most of the time when I try to boot into my system via Clover, my system randomly restarts right before login, or sometime after I log in to my account. It will spontaneously restart with no warning, and I'm met with the UEFI splash screen. It's incredibly inconvenient because I can bearly get anything done and it's always sudden, leaving me paranoid when I do successfully log in. I haven't had the issue ever up until a few days ago with High Sierra and I haven't a single clue what it might be. I've ruled out hardware issues, as I've made sure my drive isn't failing by installing High Sierra on another drive and observing the same behavior. I've also reseated RAM modules and eliminated graphics card issues (as the issue persisted even with the iGPU).

That leaves it to a software issue. I've tested on Clover versions 2.4k r4243 and r4509 and tried different boot options, such as keep symbols on kernel panic and don't restart on kernel panic, though I haven't observed the error so far in Safe Mode (but it's incredibly slow and buggy in safe mode). None of these work and I don't see any kernel panic information if it is one at all. I've checked system.log and other logs, but haven't found any information. The only variables that have changed that may have caused this sudden bug is that I've moved my machine to a new physical location and that I installed some WiFi kexts for my TP-Link WN951N since I lost access to ethernet. Could the WiFi kexts be interfering with my system, and if so is there any reason why? They look to be old versions for Mac OS X 10.10, so could it be versioning?

My relevant specs are:

• ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer Motherboard
  • Intel i7-4790S CPU
  • Gigabyte Windforce R9 270X 2GB graphics (which works fine on my system)
  • High Sierra 10.13 (though I also saw the bug on 10.13.5 fresh install)

I've attached the kexts I installed for WiFi. Thanks in advance.

TP-LINK-WN951N.zip

Edited by a1337

Sorry for not getting back! I didn't get an email about the reply, but thanks for the response.

The fact is, I've been using ethernet ever since I built my hackintosh and that worked great. As I mentioned, I recently moved to a location without ethernet access so I'm pulling out an old TP-Link card I had for WiFi. I'm not exactly sure if it's compatible, but it works. I can connect to the internet with the attached kexts without any visible hiccups except for the possibility of it causing the random crashes, whereas without the kexts WiFi capability isn't detected at all.

I'll try to uninstall the kexts and try to see if the system reboots at all. I installed the kexts via Kext Wizard so they aren't in CLOVER/kexts/Other (but /System/Library/Extensions), but WiFi works. I can also test that too. Through Clover Configurator, do you know any way to see previous startup logs? The only way for me to actually open CC and see the logs is when I do successfully login, which isn't of much use. Thanks again for your reply.

Edited by a1337