System reboot with nvidia drivers

Elfmann

26 posts in this topic

Hi all, 

I'm trying to make a fully ( or 90% at least :) ) working osx machine on my Samsung NP R580, but I'm having problems to get full graphics acceleration. So I've successfully installed OSX Sierra 10.12.6 on my laptop, I can boot the OS from the internal HDD but only if I disable the GPU (nvidia GT-330M), but obviously with the GPU disabled the problem is that the graphics is very glitchy and the system is run very slow. 

So I've tried to install NVIDIA web drivers for Sierra, but when I boot with web drivers, it start scrolling all the boot scripts on the screen, till here everything fine, but when it load the GPU, the display completely turn off and the system restart without any significant error on the screen. Any idea about how this happens? Any advice? Do I have to properly run OSX Sierra on my hardware?

My laptop specs are the Following:

Samsung NP R580-JS06

CPU: Core i3-330m

GPU: NVIDIA GT-330M

MOBO: OEM

My CPU desn't have an integrated GPU, so my system desn't use NVIDIA optimus technology, it have just the discrete GPU. Just want to say that in the past I've installed OSX 10.10.5 on this laptop, with wi-fi, audio and even the graphics acceleration working fine, so my GPU should be compatible with OSX.

I attach even a pic with the last string that it show in verbrose mode before the system restart. Maybe it could help. 

Thanks you very much in advance

photo_2018-05-13_18-06-04.jpg

4 hours ago, ellaosx said:

It does not use nvidia web drivers based on the bootup log (NVDANV50HAL).

hmm, I'm pretty sure I've installed the drivers on the OSX HDD and enabled them in config.plist, there is nothing more to do, right?

Which should be the cause of this driver detection problem? Any advice?

Thanks you for the answer.

11 minutes ago, ellaosx said:

<key>SystemParameters</key>
	<dict>
		<key>NvidiaWeb</key>
		<true/>
	</dict>

in config.plist

Yes, I've done this. A strange thing that I've noticed is that in the clover configurator->Graphics, there was no option to enable the web drivers, so I had to enable it by swithching from <false/> to <true/> in the gonfig.plist using the text editor. 
I say like that, because for example on my desktop hackintosh in Clover configurator there is an option to enable the web drivers.
What do you think? Maybe there is a problem with this clover version? I've used the lastest build, the 4449 If I remember well.

Thanks you

Edited by Elfmann

7 hours ago, ellaosx said:

check if nvram works. in terminal, type: sudo nvram -p

look if there is an entry of nvda_drv=1

4 hours ago, Riley Freeman said:

Maybe related, but a while ago I noticed that booting my X79 in verbose mode would wipe the nvda_drv entry from nvram.

ok, when I'll be at home from work I'll try and let you know. Thanks you guys

On 5/14/2018 at 9:03 AM, ellaosx said:

check if nvram works. in terminal, type: sudo nvram -p

look if there is an entry of nvda_drv=1

ok, I ran the command, and it seems that the "nvda_drv=1" flag doesn't appear(see in attached file). What do you say, how this could be solved?

I've noticed one thing, when Im in the clover option menu, in Graphics section the "Inject Nvidia " option is enabled even if I disabled it from the config.plist, while the Nvidia web drivers option is disabled although I have enabled it in config.plist file. even this is related to the nvram? If so, what I'm supposed to do, to make the nvram to save these info?

Thanks you

output.tiff

Edited by Elfmann
forgot to explain one thing

On Mon May 14 2018 at 1:35 PM, Riley Freeman said:

Maybe related, but a while ago I noticed that booting my X79 in verbose mode would wipe the nvda_drv entry from nvram.

I've also tried this way, but nothings, it continue to reboot. :(

1 hour ago, ellaosx said:

are you booting in UEFI mode? if so, you need AptioMemoryFix.efi in driver64UEFI folder

No, I'm using Legacy BIOS. Unfortunately my MOBO doesn't support UEFI. Any solution to fix nvram In Legacy BIOS?

Thanks you

4 hours ago, ellaosx said:

install the RC script from clover

I've already done it, anyway I'll try to install them again. So I have to install only the RC scripts, without any driver for the nvram?

Thanks you

Edited by Elfmann

Guest ricoc90
On 5/14/2018 at 8:52 AM, Elfmann said:

YA strange thing that I've noticed is that in the clover configurator->Graphics, there was no option to enable the web drivers, so I had to enable it by swithching from <false/> to <true/> in the gonfig.plist using the text editor.

it's under System Parameters > NvidiaWeb

Just for fun: 

sudo nvram test=test

Reboot and see if it's still there:

nvram test

1 hour ago, ricoc90 said:

it's under System Parameters > NvidiaWeb

Just for fun: 

sudo nvram test=test

Reboot and see if it's still there:

nvram test

ok, when I'll be at home from work I'll try it. Is this command useful to check if the nvram works properly ?

Thanks you

9 minutes ago, ricoc90 said:

Yep. If nvram works properly, the variable should be still there after a reboot. 

cool, must keep in mind this command :).

Anyway, if it's really the nvram the problem, do you know if there is a way to fix the nvram for those who use a Legacy BIOS? I've seen that for UEFI there are dirvers like the EmuVariable-64 or the AptioMemoryFix.efi as @ellaosx said, while for legacy BIOS there is something like that? 

Thanks you

Edited by Elfmann

Guest ricoc90

Not sure.
On my legacy system (optiplex 755) I do not experience any issues regarding to nvram. I don't have AptioMemoryFix, but I do have EmuVariable. I also did install the RC scripts.

18 minutes ago, ricoc90 said:

Not sure.
On my legacy system (optiplex 755) I do not experience any issues regarding to nvram. I don't have AptioMemoryFix, but I do have EmuVariable. I also did install the RC scripts.

I also didn't have problem with the nvram till OSX 10.10.5. Instead with with Sierra it's a mess. 

Anyway, then you say that the EmuVariable-64.efi is compatible even with Legacy BIOS? If so, does I have to put it in the EFI/Clover/Driver64 folder, or in another folder?

Thanks you.

• 4 weeks later...