Shutdown calls Reboot

9 posts in this topic

I have a Gigabyte X-79-UD5 with a 3930K that's been a solid workhorse for the past few years. Lately I've started having some odd glitches with startups and shutdowns that had me suspecting the boot loader (Clover, currently using 4049). I tried earlier versions with the same result.

The biggest issue is that  when I call shutdown the machine restarts. I realize there are shutdown fixes, I've never needed one with this rig. I am booting in verbose mode, at shutdown I am seeing this message as part of the shutdown procedure;

com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.system) <Notice>: Will be calling reboot(2) with flags: 0x0

Then the usual unmounts, cpu halted, a few seconds of silence then the machine restarts.  Curiously this happens with a High Sierra and a separate El Capitan install on the same machine (separate Clover installs in the EFI on each of those separate drives.)

What's more curious and has me starting to wonder what the common factor is, is that I've started getting occasional  Panics at boot. Doing a CMOS reset fixes this 100% of the time. Windows runs fine while this is happening (Windows 10 and 7, again on separate drives, though still loading with Clover) At one point I opened up the Bios screen at boot and saw Cyrillic (Russian) text in one of the fields, the reset fixed that.

Nothing has changed with the hardware config (except for perhaps age) or the EFI folder (except for some clover updates.) I thought perhaps something with the boot loader and some changes to how NVRam is handled may have been causing the problem, but rolling back didn't resolve it (NVRam has been no problem on this machine since it was supported by Clover a few years back)

Any suggestions?

Edited by J Lamp
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, J Lamp said:

MaLd0n to the rescue! 

Unfortunately I'm getting this error when I try to upload the zip archive,

"There was a problem processing the uploaded file. -200"

You can grab it from my One Drive folder instead;

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqFQPTxRc9VpmlNV2SlGa5raIBz5

Thanks

extract untouched tables with F4 key in clover boot screen

Here you go.

By the way, I just had a KP on boot again. I'm starting to think this may have something to do with Win 10. I was just in Win 10, rebooted and tried to load High Sierra from Clover and had the KP. The CMOS reset fixed it again. I'll keep an eye on that. The two issues may be unrelated.

Just as a quick explanation (this may be evident in the attached files) I've disabled the on board USB 3 chips (FL1009) they worked with a Clover kext patch, but were unreliable with external audio hardware. I have a FL1100 card in the box I'm using instead.

Also, as I expect you saw from the original dump I'm not using a patched DSDT, just a couple SSDT's (one for the 3930k and one from RamapgeDev.) 

origin.zip

35 minutes ago, J Lamp said:

Here you go.

By the way, I just had a KP on boot again. I'm starting to think this may have something to do with Win 10. I was just in Win 10, rebooted and tried to load High Sierra from Clover and had the KP. The CMOS reset fixed it again. I'll keep an eye on that. The two issues may be unrelated.

Just as a quick explanation (this may be evident in the attached files) I've disabled the on board USB 3 chips (FL1009) they worked with a Clover kext patch, but were unreliable with external audio hardware. I have a FL1100 card in the box I'm using instead.

Also, as I expect you saw from the original dump I'm not using a patched DSDT, just a couple SSDT's (one for the 3930k and one from RamapgeDev.) 

origin.zip

check if work

CLOVER.zip

send me new dump with new files, let me know

Thanks very much Mald0n, unfortunately it booted me to a black screen so I can't test.

I had a quick look through your DSDT, I didn't see anything that I thought would prevent the system from seeing the Nvidia GTX650. I'm using the native mac drivers for that.

Thoughts on what I should look for?

By the way, there are so many Aptio fixes, what's the advantage to the AptioMemoryFix.efi? I also saw that you updated the "Firmware Features" and removed the CPU info from the Clover config.plist. We're those something that's been updated that I've missed?

Appreciate the help.:)

7 hours ago, J Lamp said:

Thanks very much Mald0n, unfortunately it booted me to a black screen so I can't test.

I had a quick look through your DSDT, I didn't see anything that I thought would prevent the system from seeing the Nvidia GTX650. I'm using the native mac drivers for that.

Thoughts on what I should look for?

By the way, there are so many Aptio fixes, what's the advantage to the AptioMemoryFix.efi? I also saw that you updated the "Firmware Features" and removed the CPU info from the Clover config.plist. We're those something that's been updated that I've missed?

Appreciate the help.:)

çet the clover work, about cpu info etc

if u use a nvidia fix, black screen is gone?

https://github.com/lvs1974/NvidiaGraphicsFixup

It's been so long since I ran into this that I forgot about the MacPro 6,1 SMBios and the AppleGraphicsDevicePoicy issue.  I changed the one instance of  GFX0 to GFX1 in the DSDT you sent me and it got me to the desktop.

Unfortunately once I got there I had no USB, either on the machine or on the FL1100 USB card I have installed. So therefore no keyboard or mouse either.

I booted back into my original config (no DSDT) and extracted it once I reached the desktop with MaciASL and used File Merge to compare the two files. I need to spend some further time comparing the two. I saw at a quick glance a bunch of USB edits you had made. I also saw a bunch of edits in CRS1 and CRS2. I have no idea what those are for. Can you give me some insight on that?

I'll do some more digging on the USB issue and report back.

Thanks.