Macbook Pro 7,1 can't boot install usb past NVDAStartup: Official

6 posts in this topic

Thanks for the suggestions, but it didn't work. I reset the smc and pram and didn't get any luck. I don't have the original hard drive anymore, so I don't think I'm able to do a normal recovery install either. 

I also tried to boot up using a Yosemite installer USB, but I get stuck on a blinking folder icon with a question mark in the middle. Does that give you anymore information?

EDIT: I just tried the Yosemite Installer USB with a different USB port and this time I was able to boot into the drive (I didn't get the flashing folder and question mark icon). This time the installer ran longer, but it still got stuck in the same place as it did with the Mavericks installer: "NVDAStartup: Official". There seemed to be a lot of errors flashing by as the installer ran up until this point though. 

https://imgur.com/a/nchd9eL

Edited by lVlaciii

It might be a bad SSD? Even if I'm trying to boot into an install USB? Thought they'd be pretty separate.

Also, how can I "insert nv_disable=1" with a MBP? I've only been able to do that with hackintoshes in the past.