About to give up

6 posts in this topic

Sorry for the vague title - but I'm beginning to think I wasted the money on my new hardware...

My situation:

New PC (older case):

No separate graphics card

Came w/ Windows 10 Pro - I have cloned that off to a USB stick for future use in a VM

I followed some instruction *somewhere* on the internet and managed to get Clover and a Mac image loaded onto a USB - it *seemed* to install, but has since been unresponsive after reboot.

Since that time I have tried several ways of installing this. I was using Clover Configurator and both High Sierra and Sierra and my BIOS can't see the SSD in UEFI mode. In legacy mode it can see it, but then it doesn't see the boot sector on the USB.

I also tried creating an OS X VirtualBox but my one Windows desktop has only 4GB of RAM and my Windows laptop has only 6GB - virtualbox could never successfully start the VM.

So either I find a way to create a proper hackintosh boot USB on my Windows desktop, one that can install OS X on my SSD, or I just have to give up. I'm open to any help you can give me.

Thank you,

Glenn

2 minutes ago, Hervé said:

You'll have top specify the exact model of i3 CPU... Will be something like i3-6xxx or i3-7xxx. It won't be the same iGPU depending on the generation & model.

Sorry about that! It's i3-7100 3.9GHz

16 minutes ago, Hervé said:

Ok, so you've got Intel HD 630 graphics then. Make sure you set your Clover config Graphics section for "Inject Intel" + ig-platform-id "59120000". SMBIOS should be set for iMac18,2 or iMac18,3.

Now, this being said, I do not believe trying to restore an iMac image to a PC disk and adding Clover will get you going. If it were that simple, no Hackintosh sites would exist... Look up for Kaby Lake guides and start afresh with a vanilla installation.

The fact that this combination results in an Intel HD 630 graphics chip is news to me. I mean, it's the first time I have been able to determine what iGPU I am using. Obviously this will help a lot with troubleshooting! Thank you!

I will try this again and adjust those settings. You mention an iMac - I suppose that the dmg files I have been using might have come from one, but I'm really not sure.

I have done a lot of reading and searching on this topic over the last 48 hours, including Kaby Lake install info. I'm not opposed to a vanilla install, but I do require a 'starter' dmg file of some sort. This would all be much easier if I just had a friend with a Mac.....

Thanks again.

just a quick update -

Good news: I'm in! Now successfully booting off of SSD!

Bad news: no internet *sob* No audio

Looks like I am going to need to grab RehabMan's updated kext for my Intel ethernet chipset. Not horrible, just a pain :) Have to troubleshoot audio kext's as well.

This board has a dual-lan setup - it listed Intel i-219v, but also listed 

• Realtek DRAGON LAN Chip 8118AS

Found a kext for that and got right on the network.

Audio is Realtek ALC1150 - found a kext for that, too.

Am now listening to relaxing jazz on Youtube in another tab while typing this!

Thank you for your assistance in getting this up and running!

Hello,

I would like to apologize upfront for posting it here but for some reason I cannot post my on topic. When I click to post for new topic it tells me that it needs title and tags. I provide that but cannot see a space where to type my text. I have tested it with FF, GC, Edge and IE browsers with no luck.

Again, I apologize and hope that someone or moderator could help.

Thanks!

Regards,

FB