Still black boot with R290X on Sierra

haegar33

2 posts in this topic

I have browsed thru all forums and all threads for this card but apparently my system is still something special. With some cumbersome effort (none of the simple one-click ##### and other USB-Installers methods ever worked for me) I managed to install Sierra 10.12.5. However when booting is nearly finsihed I get the famous black screen which can be recovered by quickly unplug/plug the DP monitor cable leading finally to a proper initialisation of my 290X. 

1.) RadeoDeInit is on, without this patch the screens stays dark forever
2.) Booting with iGFX never works for me, I always get memory allocation errors during boot until I disable the Intel graphics completely.
3.) I am on Clover 4318, newer version do not make any differences.

4.) I am using a System Configuration for an Imac 14,2. Most other configs do not make difference either.

I have not started again the nightmare of Framebuffer patching (as I remember from Yosemite) and I think it will not help as the card is recognised by Sierra but just not initialised.

Ok, tried with the Lilu Patcher and Whatsevergreen (hard to find compiled kext version for these..) Still black screen with some flicker after boot which can be removed by shortly unplugging the monitor cable.

Only difference with Whatevergreen: The system info now shows the correct GPU name