Problem with late install/boot?

legionX

4 posts in this topic

Ok I'm only running one harddrive in my computer, it's got one large HFS partition that OSX is installed to. When I get to the part of the install at the end where OSX says it's going to restart the computer it tries to, but never does. It just sits there.

Then when I reboot I get "grub error 22" and I can't do anything.

What can I do?

Try using the install DVD. When you boot the install DVD and it says to "hit any key" to start the installation or "F8" for options, hit F8. Select your OSX partition and hit Enter.

If that doesn't work, then if I understand you correctly, OSX is the only thing on your hard drive. Yet you seem to have Grub installed. If OSX is the only thing to be installed on your hard drive, then redo the installation as follows. Use any Windows/Linux disk/partition utility to format the entire hard drive as FAT32.

Start the OSX installer and go to Disk Utility in the Utilities menu. Select the primary partition icon on the left (it is shown below the hard drive icon) and Erase it as MacOS Extended Journaled. Quit Disk Utiity and finish your installation.

If OSX is sharing the hard drive with another OS and you are using Grub as the bootloader, you need to adjust the settings in Grub. Be sure that OSX is on a primary partiton (not logical/extended) and that it does not follow a logical/extended partition.

I used the installers terminal to bring up fdisk, then used that to fix the MBR, which apparently is what was messed up. Well now it boots up just fine :(

I'm also happy to say that not only is OSX running flawlessly on my PC, but it's also running MUCH faster than it does on my PPC 1.5ghz Mac Mini. (of course my Mac Mini has 512mb or RAM, this machine has 2gb of RAM).