OSX86 on the Gateway Profile 6

Zennik

1 post in this topic

Thought i'd share my experience tossing OSX86 on the Gateway Profile 6. Picked one up for about $700 on uBid, and then tossed an nVidia 7600GT in it.

I was looking at getting a newer iMac originally, but decided to seek out a more cost-effective all-in-one solution.

Basic hardware rundown:

PentiumD 3ghz

160GB SATA HD

Realtek HD ALC883 Soundcard

Onboard Intel Gigabit.

Wireless 802.11a/b/g capability via a MiniPCI card.

Integrated GMA950(replaced with a 7600GT)

I installed OSX using the JaS 10.4.8 installer, semthex, and the Azalia audio package.

Sound didn't work off the bat, but using the instructions in the following link, I was able to get it running in no time: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=18642 Only drawback is the fact that the onboard speakers dont work, I had to plug some external speakers in. Hoping for a fix for this in the future, will probably do a bit more digging on it and see what I can figure out.

Additionally, as expected, I had to install the Titan patch to get the 7600GT working with full QE/CI support, and now it runs beautifully. Chess loads up and plays just fine, and i'm in the process of installing/patching WoW to give that a go.

After running things for awhile, I must say i'm impressed. The only thing I was really disappointed with was the lack of support for the wireless card. Instead of worrying over it, though, I just popped it out and dropped in an Atheros-based CM9 MiniPCI card, which now shows up as an Airport Extreme device.