InsanelyMac Forum
foolgladly

Printing the Daily Crossword

Hello, everyone.  Long time listener, first time caller.

Here's what I'm setting out to do:  because I can no longer reliably receive a delivery of the New York Times for my daily crossword obsession, I'm now a subscriber to their digital crossword.  I still prefer to do the puzzle on paper, and fortunately the NYT offers a scale PDF of the puzzle each day.  I'm hoping to write a script (I'm incredibly new to this) to download the file and print it every day so that I can feel like I live in a future where magic robots deliver my crossword puzzle to my printer each morning.

The file naming scheme is simplistic and consistent.  As an example, here's today's PDF location:

https://www.nytimes.com/svc/crosswords/v2/puzzle/print/Nov1017.pdf

Obviously, the only thing changing here daily is the file name.  I'm hoping I can use today's date to scrape the relevant information and generate the correct filename on a daily basis.

From there I assume it should be trivial to download the file to a specific location and automatically send it to the printer.  I've been poking around, and I have some level of confidence that I can pull off the downloading and printing parts.  I don't, however, have any idea how to get started generating the daily file name.

Any assistance you can provide would be hugely helpful.  I know the basic answer is "learn to code, it's really helpful."  I'm willing to put some time and effort in here, but I figured this would be a great place to start.

Thanks in advance, and happy Veteran's Day!

Advertisement

You could do such basic tasks either programmatically (if you want to learn some programming language) or better script them.

Try to make yourself comfortable with bash and learn to use commands with it.

For example you could use "curl" to transfer data from a server and "date" to read the current date and do some math and string concatenation with "bash" to get the targeted date, if you can't read that information from the file name or from the file directly. It'll be hard to read the date from a PDF file, if it is not compiled with such information.

After you have all that, you could just print that file with "lpr".

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Zemits06
      I have come up with one problem. I want to use Automator to download a files from specific URL's which are located on mega.cz server (The same like dropbox).
      So far i configured Automator as i need, but it's dead end for me when it comes to the file download. Files are stored on Megaupload server (www.mega.cz) and i don't know which task should i use in automator so it starts downloading the file on that specific server. 

Here in the picture You can see where I am stuck.

In that Url https://mega.cz/#...... is a .rar type of file. 
      I Guess that it can't just understand what to download, becouse if i open that link in a browser it shows options like these. (Picture 2.)

I have tried all logical tasks in automator after a script where it filters Url's , but so far no success. 

Maybe someone has an idea how to download these files.

Thanks.
    • By gungho
      I would like to send an automated email every week conditional on whether a specific email has been received that week.

Is this possible with the Automator tool, and if so, how can it be achieved please?
    • By dear hefbe
      I'm setting up multitple workstation with Final Cut Pro 7 and I want to make a self contained application that moves the preference file I made to the user's library. For practical puposes, I want the preference file to be contained in the application.

I can get it done easily with a shell script :
      cp Final\ Cut\ Pro\ 7.0\ Prefs.fcset ~/Library/Preferences/Final\ Cut\ Pro\ User\ Data/Final\ Cut\ Pro\ 7.0\ Prefs.fcset but as I said, I want the pref file to be contained within the app so it doesn't get deleted or anything (it's also prettier )

I've been using Automator in my attemps and I'd like to cotinue to do so. Xcode is excluded. The workstations are running Mac OS X 10.8.5.

EDIT : I want other people to use this app just by double clicking it. No terminal involved.

Thanks for your help.
    • By shape5
      Hi all, I was originally trying this with Automator, but if someone can guide me to accomplishing this easier with Applescript then feel free, though i haven't worked with it before.  I am trying to get specific actions within a workflow looped. I just need the workflow to process a single image file continuously so the selected edits repeat within the 1 file until i stop the loop. Here are some basic actions i'm trying to get started with:

1 - get specified finder items
      2 - copy finder items
      3 - scale images
      4 - crop images
      5 - loop

The problem is that i want to loop only actions 3 & 4, but the loop starts over at 1 and creates a new file each time it loops. Can i create 2 workflows where the 2nd one (containing actions 3/4/5) starts when the first (containing 1/2) ends so only the 2nd workflow is looped? I'm not sure how to tell the 2nd one to start when the first ends though. Do i just set the input of the 2nd to use the 1st workflow file?

or if it's possible to run this as a service from within Preview that's fine too.  Originally i had this setup as WMD (watch me do) actions but Automator won't record the selection tool. if i can get the selection tool recorded then i can keep it as a WMD based workflow.  Acorn (for crop/scale i believe) & Extra Suites (Applescript app for recording the mouse click & draw) were apps i saw mentioned on other posts that came up on google searches which might be able to help accomplish this workflow or script.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
    • By sdbernhardt
      Hi, there's a site out there called Big Cartel that allows you to setup online stores. As orders come in, they are organized on an order page. You can then click each individual order and a new page pops up with the order details. From here you can print the order. I'd like to create a script or automator app (or work flow) that will extract the individual URL of each order on the page and then save it as a web doc or pdf so I can print them as a batch of orders. Do you think this is possible? The whole process doesn't have to be scripted, but maybe at least to the point of extracting each URL and downloading the link. I can do the batch printing by myself. The code in the HTML for the list of orders is as follows (of course with sample names):

<ul id="orders_list" class="list_view">
      <li class="order item payment_paid shipped" id="order_5514565971"> <h4><a href="https://morethanconquerorsclothing.bigcartel.com/admin/orders/ZUVI-098198">John Smith</a></h4>
      <span class="time tooltip" title="12/13/2013 @ 9:43 PM">6 months ago</span>
      <span class="total">$5.00</span>
      <span class="status">Completed</span> 
      <ul class="item_actions">
      <li><a href="/admin/orders/ZUVI-098198/toggle_shipping" class="shipping_toggle tooltip" title="Mark as unshipped">Toggle shipping</a></li>
      </ul>
      </li>

<li class="order item payment_paid shipped" id="order_4917114660"> <h4><a href="https://morethanconquerorsclothing.bigcartel.com/admin/orders/GWLO-087680">James Smith</a></h4>
      <span class="time tooltip" title="10/17/2013 @ 12:20 PM">8 months ago</span>
      <span class="total">$40.00</span>
      <li><a href="/admin/orders/GWLO-087680/toggle_shipping" class="shipping_toggle tooltip" title="Mark as unshipped">Toggle shipping</a></li>
      </ul>
      </li>

<li class="order item payment_paid shipped" id="order_4902411225"> <h4><a href="https://morethanconquerorsclothing.bigcartel.com/admin/orders/LNAT-761950">Josh Smith</a></h4>
      <span class="time tooltip" title="10/15/2013 @ 10:12 PM">8 months ago</span>
      <span class="total">$15.00</span>
      <li><a href="/admin/orders/LNAT-761950/toggle_shipping" class="shipping_toggle tooltip" title="Mark as unshipped">Toggle shipping</a></li>
      </ul>
      </li>
      </ul>

(Ps the links in the code won't work, but I plan on being logged into my admin account while running this)
      Thanks for any feedback you have!

Samuel