Alienware 13 R3 w/ Intel HD 630 - Boot failure, no gfx acceleration, and more.

AlphaWIP

1 post in this topic

Laptop Specs:

Alienware 13 R3

i7-7700HQ w/ HM175

Intel HD 630 + GTX 1060, 2560x1440 resolution.

I've been doing Hackintosh for a couple of years now and I have built and installed macOS High Sierra on two desktop computers. I consider myself to be somewhat knowledgeable but this is my first laptop attempt, and I'm running into many issues.

Clover and the installer boots up just fine in the screen's native resolution (I have the OLED panel so 1440p) and the installer was insanely laggy graphically. The installation finished anyways and now when I boot into the system I'm faced with the following issues:

1. In Verbose, everything goes through perfectly at first. I've patched my GTX 1060 with an SSDT so it's disabled. However, after the verbose logs disappear and the Apple logo appears along with the cursor, the computer gets stuck. It's either stuck @ around 10 percent or sometimes it makes it through halfway but then stops there. I can still move the cursor around and sometimes when I spam "Enter" the screen kinda flashes white, but the progress bar is still stuck and I have no choice but to reboot. Sometimes the bar goes through but then I am presented with a black screen with a cursor that I can move.

2. Maybe one out of ten attempts, the progress bar does go through and I am able to log in. However, it's extremely painful as the graphics are extremely laggy and in the terminal, I have to keep double-clicking for it to refresh. Yes, it's that bad. 

3. Oddly, despite the graphics being extremely painful, in System Report my Kaby Lake HD 630 still gets recognized and displays having 1500MB of memory regardless if I use an invalid ID (0x12345678) or the proper Kaby Lake ID.

4. I have installed VoodooPS2Controller with VoodooPS2Daemon and the plist but 80% of the time when I press a single key, it gets inputted twice, including trackpad clicks. It got so frustrating that I had to type out my terminal commands on a different computer, save them into a text file on a USB drive, and copy/paste it into the terminal for my laptop. Not sure if it's related to the graphical issues. Note, even when I connect an external USB keyboard, it still happens. If I remove the Voodoo driver, however, the issue goes away for the external USB keyboard.

-------------------------------------------
Fixes I've tried that didn't work:

1. com.apple.driver.AppleIntelKBLGraphicsFramebuffer patch. Since my BIOS doesn't give me the option to raise the DVMT limit, I patched the kext with RehabMan's hex values(32MB BIOS, 19MB framebuffer 9MB cursor bytes). In Verbose mode it tells me that graphics acceleration for iGPU is enabled(used to give a frame buffer error) but makes absolutely no difference. Still laggy af.

2. Changing ig-platform-id to 0x12345678 and injecting FakeID 0x12345678, booting it up, clearing kernel cache, changing the IDs back, and booting it again. Made no difference.

3. Switching between MacBookPro14,3, MacBookPro14,1, MacBookPro11,1, and iMac18,3 SMBIOS. No difference from what I can tell. All of them can't make it to the desktop 90% of the time.

4. Hotpatching GFX0 to IGPU. Made no difference.

5. Tried the minStolenSize kext fix. Made no difference.

6. Taking a break from this after 2 days. Didn't really work. 

7. Added CoreDisplayFixup.kext and plugged it into an external display w/ HDMI. The external display had no signal and the kext didn't seem to do much to improve.

It would be great if someone can help me figure this out. It's been mildly frustrating...

Attached my EFI/Clover folder, IOReg, patchmatic SSDTs, and the various logs.

Best regards.

CLOVER.zip

patchmatic.zip

IOReg.zip

post-1385867-0-33757700-1509048206_thumb.jpg

• Like 1