New SSD drive destroys network connectivity and cannot be resized

bcnx

4 posts in this topic

Hi all,

something quite weird. I decided to replace my main SSD drive (256 GB) to a 1 TB type, by means of using a Linux live distribution and the DD command. 

El Capitan boots fine on the new drive but I have seem to have lost the network configuration. The ethernet card is visible in the System Preferences config tool but shows "not connected". 

I added the e1000 kext to my Clover config, but this resulted into a kernel panic at boot. 

How is it possible that a bit-per-bit copy destroys my network config?

The second problem was the attempt to resize the boot drive. Since GParted does not support growing a HFS+ partition, I decided to do it in my OS X session, which results in a "success" message. However, the partition has not changed. 

Anyone any idea on how to get the partition to its full size? Should I use another tool?

Cheers!

BC

Hi,

dd is actually a block device copy tool, which is filesystem agnostic, so you can use it for any filesystem. ddrescue is particularly handy if you suspect that your source disk has bad sectors. ddrescue will try several times to copy bad sectors anyway. So I am fairly convinced that my copy is all right. It would be weird if only the network function is affected of the copy should have failed somewhere. I have used dd throughout my careers numerous times, on numerous file systems. 

Thank you for the USB installer tip. I will investigate that route.

Another thing I might try is to upgrade to High Sierra, but it is my understanding that the filesystem might change (maybe this is a choice).

cheers,

BC 

Weird, Herve's comments are gone. 

Just wanted to point out that I launched my PC with Ubuntu from USB stick and it seems the second port does work. So the electronics of the first port are gone. I hope to be able to use the second LAN port, but it seems to be another kind on my GA-Z87X-UD5H.

For completeness sake: there was a bug in the Disk Utility. When doing the same action with diskutil, my OS X partition was successfully expanded to the full size. To be on the safe side, I created a bootable USB, started a terminal and executed the diskutil command. Worked flowlessly.

BC