InsanelyMac Forum
Sign in to follow this  
pjhartin

Updating Kernel process - Did I miss a step?

I've recently acquired a kernel that Bronya has been developing and I had wished to test it out on my system.

I assumed the process of updating the kernel would follow the steps outlined here

So I booted via USB into my macOS, deleted the existing kernel at 

macOS/System/Library/Kernels

and replaced with the new kernel file, then deleted the existing PrelinkedKernels file too. 

Next I ran Kext Utility, and when it finished I rebooted.

Upon booting into macOS again via clover on the drive, I ran Kext Utility again, just to be safe.

Now, however, I no longer have any sound devices once booted and I am experiencing very long boot times, noting "kextd wait appleacpicpu" at the end of boot (see attached screenshot)

Did I actually update the kernel correctly? Did I miss a step, or screw something up along the way?

Thanks

Advertisement

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By verymilan
      Hi, i recently set up High Sierra on my AMD computer with the help of the amdosx community (i actually used an installer just to confirm that something would work in the first place before i spend hours for nothing, i can and could have downloaded High Sierra the "legal" way).
      However the graphicscard is recognized properly, the 6gig are recognized and i have no artifacts and no screen tearing with the official nvidia webdriver,
      but unfortunally, dark colors have horizontal dark stripes in them and specific bright colors like on left bar of system windows such as settings do flicker like low fps.

I only used the clover on the flash drive for now and i'd like if it's worth digging deeper of if i should just forget about it as it is a common nvidia problem on macOS.
      Would be amazing to know.

Closer machine infos:
      * High Sierra (misses a recent minor patch as my network is veeeery slow and i got this nvidia issue anyway so i mainly jumped back to linux)
      * AMD fx8350
      * Asus Sabertooth 990fx Ref. 2.0
      * NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

• By hackintosh_builder
      Hello, I am interested in building a Hackintosh using Threadripper. Could you please recommend good motherboard(s)? Is there one that is fully compatible with the Hackintosh?
    • By abhinav
      How to install macOS 10.13 High Sierra in Vmware Workstation 14 Pro on AMD Machine
      Unlocker cmd already installed for vmware workstation 14
      vmx file edited...added smc.version="0"

My System Specs
      AMD FX8120 8 Core
      Corsair Vengeance 32 GB DDR3 RAM
      Asus 990FX Sabertooth Motherboard
      Sandisk Ultra II 480 GB SSD SATA 3
      Asus STRIX 960 GTX 4 GB DCU II Model Pixel Shader 5 DirectX 12 Support

Virtual Machine Specs
      16 GB RAM
      2 processors and 4 cores = 8 core processor
      SATA hard drive
      128 MB video memory

• By M1GU5L
      Last year i tried to install Sierra but after installing it keped booting to a black screen, now i want to try with high sierra but i dont know what i have to do to get this to work.
      I heard about the whatevergreen and lilu kexts but i dont know what to do with them, can anyone help me solving this?

my pc specs

Intel Core i5-4460 3.20 GHz with iGPU Intel HD Graphics 4600
      Asus H81M-A
      8GB RAM Kingston Hyper x 1600 mhz
      Asus Strix R9 380 4GB
    • By haegar33
      I have browsed thru all forums and all threads for this card but apparently my system is still something special. With some cumbersome effort (none of the simple one-click ##### and other USB-Installers methods ever worked for me) I managed to install Sierra 10.12.5. However when booting is nearly finsihed I get the famous black screen which can be recovered by quickly unplug/plug the DP monitor cable leading finally to a proper initialisation of my 290X. 

1.) RadeoDeInit is on, without this patch the screens stays dark forever
      2.) Booting with iGFX never works for me, I always get memory allocation errors during boot until I disable the Intel graphics completely.
      3.) I am on Clover 4318, newer version do not make any differences.
      4.) I am using a System Configuration for an Imac 14,2. Most other configs do not make difference either.

I have not started again the nightmare of Framebuffer patching (as I remember from Yosemite) and I think it will not help as the card is recognised by Sierra but just not initialised.