Garbled, mostly black screen on clean install Dell E1405

Jagojon3

9 posts in this topic

I have just installed 10.4.6 on my E1405, the install went successfully. I have a core duo, tried using -v cpus=1 and I just get a black screen after I boot up. I can see the mouse move around and a random white box but nothing I can actually use. I've been searching for a while and have seen threads on this problem, but no solutions so far that have worked! Does anybody have any ideas? I'm so close!

I don't remember an SSE3 option, but I do remember two updates to choose from, one being 10.4.5 and another being 10.4.6 I think, I selected both of those. Is that what you mean, I should only select one?

I downloaded the file MacOSX_10.4.6_GoatsecxDVD.rar

edit: I see the SSE3_only_kernel option, I will select that and reinstall and see what happens. Will I need to check GMA900 support too?

Ok I got it working with the -v -x cpus=1 and enabling the SSE3, it's awesome!

One thing though, I can't get wireless to work. When I choose internet setup, the airport is blanked out and I can't choose it. It's weird, because I enabled wireless in the install CD.

-v just displays the boot messages so you can track down errors

-x boots to safe mode. This is a reduced functionality mode so that you can troubleshoot and fix errors. Wireless is one of the functions that is disabled.

Ahh {censored} I thought so. Well everything looks just dandy under safe mode, I can't figure out how to get it to work in regular mode! Have you heard of this happening before?