How I fixed black after grey apple problem.

jslotion

8 posts in this topic

After a good amount of fussing around with the JaS 10.4.8 ReSeed release, I finally (a few days ago) got past the GMA950 problem where the screen would go black after the grey apple screen. This is the method I used:

At the Darwin load screen, hit F8 to enter into the command line.

At the command line, type: "graphics mode"="1024x768x32@85".

At this point, plug in an additional monitor (tube, some flat panels have problems) and hit Fn+F8 (CRL/LCD button). You will see the screen go black on your laptop and come up on the additional monitor.

Hit enter and the grey logo will show up. If all goes smoothly, hit Fn+F8 again once you see the ajax-y progress circle show up under the grey apple to get the image back on your laptop.

You'll see this load screen for a good amount of time until ...

POP. The image will pop back over to the additional monitor. DO NOT PUSH FN+F8 AGAIN! You'll have to finish the rest of setup via the additional monitor, but once it's installed, it's installed.

One more thing: The boot segment has been corrupt every single time I've installed. It hasn't been much of an issue because I've just done the fdisk -u fix although it is preventing me from triple booting.

I hope this helps some of you guys out.

YES - Dell 6400

YES - 1.67 gigahertz Intel Core Duo, 1 GB RAM

YES - Mobile Intel® 945GM Express Chipset Family (2x) [GMA950]

NO - SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC

NO - Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller

NO - Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-PCI Card

After a good amount of fussing around with the JaS 10.4.8 ReSeed release, I finally (a few days ago) got past the GMA950 problem where the screen would go black after the grey apple screen. This is the method I used:

At the Darwin load screen, hit F8 to enter into the command line.

At the command line, type: "graphics mode"="1024x768x32@85".

At this point, plug in an additional monitor (tube, some flat panels have problems) and hit Fn+F8 (CRL/LCD button). You will see the screen go black on your laptop and come up on the additional monitor.

Hit enter and the grey logo will show up. If all goes smoothly, hit Fn+F8 again once you see the ajax-y progress circle show up under the grey apple to get the image back on your laptop.

You'll see this load screen for a good amount of time until ...

POP. The image will pop back over to the additional monitor. DO NOT PUSH FN+F8 AGAIN! You'll have to finish the rest of setup via the additional monitor, but once it's installed, it's installed.

One more thing: The boot segment has been corrupt every single time I've installed. It hasn't been much of an issue because I've just done the fdisk -u fix although it is preventing me from triple booting.

I hope this helps some of you guys out.

YES - Dell 6400

YES - 1.67 gigahertz Intel Core Duo, 1 GB RAM

YES - Mobile Intel® 945GM Express Chipset Family (2x) [GMA950]

NO - SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC

NO - Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller

NO - Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-PCI Card

You are da MAN!!!!

Installing right now...will let you know what the outcome is...

FYI: Dell E1405 Core Duo

• 2 weeks later...

Did you try reburning it at 2x? I ran into that same problem when I (not doing proper research) tried to install in on my SSE2 processor (intel celeron, amd sempron).

I would try reburning it, I also had a hang up and had to reburn it from Alcohol 120, Nero didn't work worth beans.

Good luck

• 10 months later...

I got the 1390 WLAN Minicard to work using this method:

1: Open Terminal (Hard Drive icon -> Applications -> Utilities)

2: type this -> CODEsudo su

3: then this -> CODEcd /System/Library/Extensions

4: then -> CODEcd /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext/Contents/

5: then CODEnano -w Info.plist

6: Ok then scroll down until you see:

<key>IONameMatch</key>

<array>

<string>pci14e4,4328</string>

<string>pci14e4,4329</string>

<string>pci14e4,432a</string>

<string>pci14e4,4311</string>

<string>pci14e4,4312</string>

<string>pci14e4,4313</string>

<string>pci14e4,4319</string>

<string>pci14e4,431a</string>

7: before <string>pci14e4,4319</string> add this: <string>pci14e4,4318</string> (change the 4318 to your ID, Mines is 4318 because i have Dell Wireless 1370)

8: then Control X, then Y then hit Enter

9: then Do: CODEsudo reboot

10: then you should see a Blank Baseball Feild Icon (airport icon) on the finder bar

11: Open up Terminal then type -> CODEsudo su

12: Then -> CODEcd /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

13: Then -> CODEnano -w /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

14: You should See this

<key>BSD Name</key>

<string>en0</string>

<key>IOBuiltin</key>

<false/>

<key>IOInterfaceType</key>

<integer>6</integer>

<key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>

<integer>0</integer>

<key>IOLocation</key>

<string></string>

<key>IOMACAddress</key>

<data>

15: change that to this:

<key>BSD Name</key>

<string>en1</string>

<key>IOBuiltin</key>

<false/>

<key>IOInterfaceType</key>

<integer>6</integer>

<key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>

<integer>1</integer>

<key>IOLocation</key>

<string></string>

<key>IOMACAddress</key>

<data>

16: then Ctrl-X -> Y -> Enter

17: Then CODEsudo reboot

18: After Reboot, Click the Airport Icon on the finder bar and click 'Network Preferences' It'll Say

Has Found the following Port

'Airport'

19: Click Ok then click the drop down box that has Show: next to it then click 'Airport' then click Apply Now and then, Click the Airport icon then select your Network and then Your Done

**NOTE**

I did not see the big "AirPort" logo like the original poster of the fix did. It worked anyway though. Even if your card is shown in the list, type it in anyway. Add it right above the original. You will have to reconnect everytime you reboot. I havent figured out a way to fix this. You may also have to connect to your wi-fi manually sometimes. I cannot figure out a fix for this either. You will also not have wired support at all. You change the wireless to "en1" which is the wired line. But, if you have wireless, why do you need wired? (Works with WEP, havent tried it with WPA)