VMware can't connect iPhone

Guest magic77

5 posts in this topic

Guest magic77

I'm using OSX 10.12 for Development purposes and need to have a iPhone 6 connected to the VM. But i' m running into issues.

My Host System is Ubuntu 17.04, VM Tools are installed, VMware Workstation 12 (latest Version)

This is what i have done:

1. Start VM with OSX
  2. Plugin iPhone to USB
  3. Now VMware asks me to connect iPhone

This is what happens, after i plug in the iPhone

sAypp.jpg

Some moments later this Question appears 

5an9a.jpg

But still no iPhone available. Can somebody help me with this?

It would help if you shared what Linux distro you're using as I can't tell you if this solution will fix things. Let me know. I'm assuming yours is some Debian variant.

Have just tried unmounting your iPhone from Nautilus right before attaching it to your VM? You should always try the basics first.

If you never plan on communicating with your iPhone on your Linux host machine and will just be doing it through your macOS VM then you can prevent usbmuxd from loading, which is what is preventing VMware from accessing the device. usbmuxd is a service specific to iOS devices in Linux. Run this in terminal: 

sudo touch /etc/udev/rules.d/39-usbmuxd.rules
sudo udevadm control --reload-rules
This blank file should prevent usbmuxd from launching when you plug in your iPhone from now on.

As for the second error, that's the Nautilus file manager automatically mounting your iPhone for photo access. If you don't care about that, you can run this:

sudo chmod a-x /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfs-gphoto2-volume-monitor
that will take away executable permissions for all users so the next time it automatically tries to run it when you plug in your iPhone or any kind of camera plugged into USB, it will fail to mount. There is also an option in Nautlius gconf settings to disable automounting in general, but I think this is the easier way to do it.

To undo what you just did in case you want to re-enable it for whatever reason:

sudo rm /etc/udev/rules.d/39-usbmuxd.rules
sudo udevadm control --reload-rules
sudo chmod a+x /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfs-gphoto2-volume-monitor

Guest magic77

Hello nawcom,

you're right, i need the iPhone connection only for the VM.

Now my iPhone is shown in the List of the System Profiler under USB, with this Information

Product ID:       0x12a8
  Vendor ID: 0x05ac  (Apple Inc.)
  Version: 7.02
  Serial Number:
  Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
  Manufacturer: Apple Inc.
  Location ID: 0x02100000 / 1
  Current Available (mA): 500
  Current Required (mA): 500
  Extra Operating Current (mA): 0

But when i start iTunes, there is no Device available. Is this a "Trust this Computer" Bug, maybe?

Shut down the VM and under Virtual Machine Settings, Select the USB controller on the Hardware tab and there should be an option for USB compatibility. Set that to USB 2.0 and see if that makes a difference