magic77

VMware can't connect iPhone

5 posts in this topic

I'm using OSX 10.12 for Development purposes and need to have a iPhone 6 connected to the VM. But i' m running into issues.

My Host System is Ubuntu 17.04, VM Tools are installed, VMware Workstation 12 (latest Version)

This is what i have done:

1. Start VM with OSX
  2. Plugin iPhone to USB
  3. Now VMware asks me to connect iPhone

This is what happens, after i plug in the iPhone

sAypp.jpg

Some moments later this Question appears 

5an9a.jpg

But still no iPhone available. Can somebody help me with this?

Advertisement

It would help if you shared what Linux distro you're using as I can't tell you if this solution will fix things. Let me know. I'm assuming yours is some Debian variant.

Have just tried unmounting your iPhone from Nautilus right before attaching it to your VM? You should always try the basics first.

If you never plan on communicating with your iPhone on your Linux host machine and will just be doing it through your macOS VM then you can prevent usbmuxd from loading, which is what is preventing VMware from accessing the device. usbmuxd is a service specific to iOS devices in Linux. Run this in terminal: 

sudo touch /etc/udev/rules.d/39-usbmuxd.rules
sudo udevadm control --reload-rules
This blank file should prevent usbmuxd from launching when you plug in your iPhone from now on.

As for the second error, that's the Nautilus file manager automatically mounting your iPhone for photo access. If you don't care about that, you can run this:

sudo chmod a-x /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfs-gphoto2-volume-monitor
that will take away executable permissions for all users so the next time it automatically tries to run it when you plug in your iPhone or any kind of camera plugged into USB, it will fail to mount. There is also an option in Nautlius gconf settings to disable automounting in general, but I think this is the easier way to do it.

To undo what you just did in case you want to re-enable it for whatever reason:

sudo rm /etc/udev/rules.d/39-usbmuxd.rules
sudo udevadm control --reload-rules
sudo chmod a+x /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfs-gphoto2-volume-monitor

Hello nawcom,

you're right, i need the iPhone connection only for the VM.

Now my iPhone is shown in the List of the System Profiler under USB, with this Information

Product ID:       0x12a8
  Vendor ID: 0x05ac  (Apple Inc.)
  Version: 7.02
  Serial Number:
  Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
  Manufacturer: Apple Inc.
  Location ID: 0x02100000 / 1
  Current Available (mA): 500
  Current Required (mA): 500
  Extra Operating Current (mA): 0

But when i start iTunes, there is no Device available. Is this a "Trust this Computer" Bug, maybe?

Shut down the VM and under Virtual Machine Settings, Select the USB controller on the Hardware tab and there should be an option for USB compatibility. Set that to USB 2.0 and see if that makes a difference

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Donk
      Here is a new utility to patch the EFI firmware in VMware Workstation and Fusion to allow the non-server versions of Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) and 10.6 (Snow Leopard) to run. Yoiu will need macOS unlocker 3 if you are using Workstation on non-Apple hardware. I still have to find a way to do this on ESXi as the UEFIPatch utility will not run in the ESXi console.
      This currently supports:

Workstation 11/12/14/15 on Windows and Linux Workstation Player 7/12/14/15 on Windows and Linux Fusion 10/11 on macOS  
      https://github.com/DrDonk/efi-unlocker/releases/download/1.0.0/efi-unlocker100.zip
      https://github.com/DrDonk/efi-unlocker

Please read the readme.txt file for details.
      readme.txt
    • By Donk
      Verision 3 of the macOS Unlocker for VMware Workstation and Player. Supports versions:

Workstation 11/12/14/15 on Windows and Linux Workstation Player 7/12/14/15 on Windows and Linux  
      https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/963-macos-unlocker-v30-for-vmware-workstation/
      https://github.com/DrDonk/unlocker/releases/download/3.0.2/unlocker302.zip
      https://github.com/DrDonk/unlocker/
      readme.txt
    • By Donk
      macOS Unlocker V3.0 for VMware Workstation ========================================== +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+ | IMPORTANT: | | ========== | | | | Always uninstall the previous version of the Unlocker before using a new | | version. Failure to do this could render VMware unusable. | | | +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+ 1. Introduction --------------- Unlocker 3 is designed for VMware Workstation 11-15 and Player 7-15. If you are using an earlier product please continue using Unlocker 1. Version 3 has been tested against: * Workstation 11/12/14/15 on Windows and Linux * Workstation Player 7/12/14/15 on Windows and Linux The patch code carries out the following modifications dependent on the product being patched: * Fix vmware-vmx and derivatives to allow macOS to boot * Fix vmwarebase .dll or .so to allow Apple to be selected during VM creation * Download a copy of the latest VMware Tools for macOS Note that not all products recognise the darwin.iso via install tools menu item. You will have to manually mount the darwin.iso for example on Workstation 11 and Player 7. In all cases make sure VMware is not running, and any background guests have been shutdown. The code is written in Python. 2. Prerequisites ---------------- The code requires Python 2.7 to work. Most Linux distros ship with a compatible Python interpreter and should work without requiring any additional software. Windows Unlocker has a packaged version of the Python script using PyInstaller, and so does not require Python to be installed. 3. Limitations -------------- If you are using VMware Player or Workstation on Windows you may get a core dump. Latest Linux products are OK and do not show this problem. +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+ | IMPORTANT: | | ========== | | | | If you create a new VM VMware may stop and create a core dump. | | There are two options to work around this issue: | | | | 1. Change the VM to be HW 10 - this does not affect performance. | | 2. Edit the VMX file and add: | | smc.version = "0" | | | +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+ 4. Windows ---------- On Windows you will need to either run cmd.exe as Administrator or using Explorer right click on the command file and select "Run as administrator". win-install.cmd - patches VMware win-uninstall.cmd - restores VMware win-update-tools.cmd - retrieves latest macOS guest tools 5. Linux --------- On Linux you will need to be either root or use sudo to run the scripts. You may need to ensure the Linux scripts have execute permissions by running chmod +x against the 2 files. lnx-install.sh - patches VMware lnx-uninstall.sh - restores VMware lnx-update-tools.cmd - retrieves latest macOS guest tools 6. Thanks --------- Thanks to Zenith432 for originally building the C++ unlocker and Mac Son of Knife (MSoK) for all the testing and support. Thanks also to Sam B for finding the solution for ESXi 6 and helping me with debugging expertise. Sam also wrote the code for patching ESXi ELF files and modified the unlocker code to run on Python 3 in the ESXi 6.5 environment. History ------- 27/09/18 3.0.0 - First release 02/10/18 3.0.1 - Fixed gettools.py to work with Python 3 and correctly download darwinPre15.iso 10/10/18 3.0.2 - Fixed false positives from anti-virus software with Windows executables - Allow Python 2 and 3 to run the Python code from Bash scripts (c) 2011-2018 Dave Parsons  
    • By Donk
      macOS Unlocker V3.0 for VMware ESXi =================================== 1. Introduction --------------- Unlocker 3 for ESXi is designed for VMware ESXi 6.5 and 6.7. The patch code carries out the following modifications dependent on the product being patched: * Fix vmware-vmx to allow macOS to boot * Fix libvmkctl to allow vSphere to control the guest The code is written in Python as it makes the Unlocker easier to run and maintain on ESXi. +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+ | IMPORTANT: | | ========== | | | | Always uninstall the previous version of the Unlocker before using a new | | version. Failure to do this could render VMware unusable. | | | +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+ 2. Installation --------------- Copy the distribution file to the ESXi host datastore using scp or some other data transfer system. Decompress the file from the ESXi console or via SSH: tar xzvf esxi-unlocker-xxx.tgz (xxx - will be the version number, for example, 300) Run the command from the terminal: ./esxi-install.sh Finally reboot the server. 3. Uninstallation ----------------- Open the ESXi console or login via SSH and chnage to the folder where the files were extracted. Run the command from the terminal: ./esxi-uninstall.sh Finally reboot the server. 4. Notes -------- A. There is a command added called esxi-smctest.sh which can show if the patch is successful. It must be run from a terminal or SSH session. The output should be: /bin/vmx smcPresent = true custom.vgz false 38725560 B B. The unlocker can be temporarily disabled during boot by editing the boot options and adding "nounlocker". 5. Thanks --------- Thanks to Zenith432 for originally building the C++ unlocker and Mac Son of Knife (MSoK) for all the testing and support. Thanks also to Sam B for finding the solution for ESXi 6 and helping me with debugging expertise. Sam also wrote the code for patching ESXi ELF files and modified the unlocker code to run on Python 3 in the ESXi 6.5 environment. The code is available at https://github.com/DrDonk/esxi-unlocker History ------- 26/09/18 3.0.0 - First release (c) 2011-2018 Dave Parsons  
    • By jdl6884
      I have been working for days trying to get VM Workstation 14 on windows 10 to run my hackintosh ssd drive... No matter what I try I get a VMWare error when trying to run the VM.... "Error while powering on: Insufficient permissions." I have tried adjusting permissions, changing VM location, mounting/unmounting, tweaking settings, and running as administrator.... all without any luck.

I have a running macOS 14.0 Mojave on a Samsung 970EVO NVMe SSD along with a separate 970EVO running Windows 10.

I am using unlocker 2.1.1, VMWare workstation 14, APFS for windows, and Paragon HFS+ for windows. The macOS partition is on a separate NVME ssd than the windows one. 

I was curious to see if anyone had any ideas. I was following this guide primarily but it is a little out dated.