Cannot load Nvidia web driver for a GTX 970 on an old (2009) Alienware Aurora R1 ( core i7 920 LGA1366 & X58/ICH10R chipsets/IO controllers)

redbull02

20 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I'm a bit new to hackintosh but I've done some reading into the whole installation process and after installing several versions into a test hard drive in my super old Alienware Aurora R1 (2009), and playing around with some kext patching, bootflags, etc. I'm a bit more comfortable.

Anyhow, after successfully installing Sierra (10.12.3) on my system and getting on-board and PCI-e USB 2/3, on-board audio, Ethernet, firewire, etc. (not a single boot flag needed, the system runs stably), I still cannot get the Nvidia web drivers  loaded or any other graphics driver injections and thus my video performance is horrible (can't get past 720p res.; only DVI-I port working and slow/glitchy GUI overall). After installing the latest version of the web drivers, I've used the most common guides to get nvidia web drivers loaded from clover bootloader (legacy boot from EFI partition on a GPT disk dedicated to OSX test installations only). I've used several recommended boot flags combinations but during the bootup process (verbose mode - can see the volumes mounted and the kernel bootup process happening without any KP or getting stuck), the screen suddenly goes dark and I get no video output out of any port of my GTX 970 card (no DVI-I,  no DVI-D, no display ports and no HDMI). The only way to get back into the system is to use -x -f -F boot flags and then reverting the .plist modifications in clover so that no web drivers are loaded. 

Some bootflags combos tried: 

(1) did not enable nvda_drv=1 but enabled the system parameters => NvidiaWeb=yes

(2) enabled only nvda_drv=1 and not the NvidiaWeb=yes

(3) enabled both

(4) enabled NvidiaWeb=yes (also kext-dev-mode=1) but made sure that any other boot flags arguments that related to generic Nvidia/Intel drivers were disabled

For example: GraphicsEnabler=No; IGPEnabler=No

So, do you guys have any clue as to what's happening. I would honestly just settle with any graphic driver injections that can give me some decent video output (1080p out of any DVI, display port or HDMI connections) and enough video memory to play 1080p movies online or from my HDD. I don't plan to do any gaming or heavy video tasks (I use my Win7 installation for gaming and those more VRAM-intensive applications).

Thanks beforehand!  ;)

Here are my hardware specs 

Quick specs:

H869M Alienware Aurora R1 Motherboard (Intel X58 rev. 13 chipset, Southbridge Intel 82801JR (ICH10R) rev. 00)

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 Bloomfield (LGA1366 socket)

Memory: 9 GB total (3x2GB & 3x1GB)  DDR3 SDRAM UDIMM | PC3-8500F (1066 MHz) 

GPU (upgraded from the original GTX 260): Gigabyte GTX 970 (GM204 | A1 revision) (4GB GDDR5 | 256 bus bandwidth | 224.4 GB/s bandwidth)

I've attached an html file from CPU-Z that has more ind-depth specs. Also included a .gif screenshot from GPU-Z that has much more detail about the GPU, if needed.

post-2153582-0-67569300-1498526161_thumb.gif

CPU-Z specs (Alienware Aurora).html

Ops, almost forgot: here are my Ioreg files and clover origin folder (the one in the EFI partition => clover folder)

origin.zip

My iMac.ioreg.zip

Send me My iMac.zip

• Like 1

Hey guys, I'm a bit new to hackintosh but I've done some reading into the whole installation process and after installing several versions into a test hard drive in my super old Alienware Aurora R1 (2009), and playing around with some kext patching, bootflags, etc. I'm a bit more comfortable.

Anyhow, after successfully installing Sierra (10.12.3) on my system and getting on-board and PCI-e USB 2/3, on-board audio, Ethernet, firewire, etc. (not a single boot flag needed, the system runs stably), I still cannot get the Nvidia web drivers  loaded or any other graphics driver injections and thus my video performance is horrible (can't get past 720p res.; only DVI-I port working and slow/glitchy GUI overall). After installing the latest version of the web drivers, I've used the most common guides to get nvidia web drivers loaded from clover bootloader (legacy boot from EFI partition on a GPT disk dedicated to OSX test installations only). I've used several recommended boot flags combinations but during the bootup process (verbose mode - can see the volumes mounted and the kernel bootup process happening without any KP or getting stuck), the screen suddenly goes dark and I get no video output out of any port of my GTX 970 card (no DVI-I,  no DVI-D, no display ports and no HDMI). The only way to get back into the system is to use -x -f -F boot flags and then reverting the .plist modifications in clover so that no web drivers are loaded. 

Some bootflags combos tried: 

(1) did not enable nvda_drv=1 but enabled the system parameters => NvidiaWeb=yes

(2) enabled only nvda_drv=1 and not the NvidiaWeb=yes

(3) enabled both

(4) enabled NvidiaWeb=yes (also kext-dev-mode=1) but made sure that any other boot flags arguments that related to generic Nvidia/Intel drivers were disabled

For example: GraphicsEnabler=No; IGPEnabler=No

So, do you guys have any clue as to what's happening. I would honestly just settle with any graphic driver injections that can give me some decent video output (1080p out of any DVI, display port or HDMI connections) and enough video memory to play 1080p movies online or from my HDD. I don't plan to do any gaming or heavy video tasks (I use my Win7 installation for gaming and those more VRAM-intensive applications).

Thanks beforehand!  ;)

Here are my hardware specs 

Quick specs:

H869M Alienware Aurora R1 Motherboard (Intel X58 rev. 13 chipset, Southbridge Intel 82801JR (ICH10R) rev. 00)

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 Bloomfield (LGA1366 socket)

Memory: 9 GB total (3x2GB & 3x1GB)  DDR3 SDRAM UDIMM | PC3-8500F (1066 MHz) 

GPU (upgraded from the original GTX 260): Gigabyte GTX 970 (GM204 | A1 revision) (4GB GDDR5 | 256 bus bandwidth | 224.4 GB/s bandwidth)

I've attached an html file from CPU-Z that has more ind-depth specs. Also included a .gif screenshot from GPU-Z that has much more detail about the GPU, if needed.

attachicon.gifGPU-Z specs.gif

attachicon.gifCPU-Z specs (Alienware Aurora).html

Ops, almost forgot: here are my Ioreg files and clover origin folder (the one in the EFI partition => clover folder)

attachicon.giforigin.zip

attachicon.gifMy iMac.ioreg.zip

attachicon.gifSend me My iMac.zip

Hello redbull02,

1. Change smbios to mac pro 6,1, download adgpfix (from insanelymac) and run it.

2. Update clover to newest (4097) and check the folder driver64uefi, need EmuVariableUefi-64.efi.

3. Download nvidia web driver and cuda driver for mac and install it

4. run Kext utility and reboot.

• Like 1

Hi, thanks so much for replying. I'll try the solutions you suggested as soon as I get a chance after work today and I'll post back right away.

Just a quick clarification and just for learning as I'm not entirely familiar how these bootloaders work: if I'm booting clover in BIOS (no UEFI support in my 2009 mobo), is the EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI files needed for the bootloader to run in "legacy mode"?

• Like 1

-Use emuvariable driver

-Add NvidiaWeb in ur config.plist

-Install WebDriver

-To avoid black screen with some smbios, use Lilu.kext + NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext

Well, this is what I tried in the order listed:

(1) installed latest version of Web drivers and CUDA drivers

(2) installed the latest Clover bootloader (2.4k rev 4097) into the ESP of my OsX hard drive and selected emuvariable drivers

(3) made sure I had the latest version of clover configurator, which I did have.

(4) Mounted EFI partition of my OSX drive, opened, and then edited the config .plist to enable webdriver (also enabled Inject system ID option atop of NvidiaWeb option, as recommended in a tutorial). Also changed to mac pro 6.1 before finally saving .plist file

(5) tried the agdpfix (after disabling SIP in clover, as requested by agdpfix app.

(6) still same issue: screen goes dark but now the pc restarts right after it.

I guess I'll try using the lilu.kext + nvidiagraphicsfixup.kext

• Like 1

ur dsdt

attachicon.gifDSDT.aml.zip

Hi MaLd0n, I assume this is a patched DSDT? If so, should I just paste the DSDT.aml file in: EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched/DSDT.aml ? Then I assume I have to boot through Clover with that modified DSDT file, along with the bootflags for enabling web driver, correct?

Should I apply the Lilu.kext + NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext as you recommended or will the new DSDT file be enough?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm very new at this  :blush: 

• Like 1

ok, I'm assuming you need the folder in the EFI partition. Here it is; I included the folders "Boot" and "CLOVER" just in case (I assume the "Microsoft" one and "Apple" are irrelevant here but let me know and I'll upload them)

Boot.rarCLOVER.rar

BTW, I don't know if you noticed on my configuration data on my original post but I have another PCIe card (besides my GTX 970 video card) - it's for USB 3.0 support. Don't know if that makes any difference

• Like 1

After following all the recommendations I still get video signal loss and shortly after the computer restarts. I've attached a link to a short video (~50 seconds) of the bootup process in -v mode https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ak4c30mmhon1gaUGCDxJiTowhVYOCg so that you guys can see where the bootup process fails

P.S. as you'll see I have another hard drive connected with some other test installations of OSX but I'm not using that hard drive (I get the exact same results if I physically unplug that other "test" hard drive from the PC)

BTW, thanks for all the help so far MaLd0n, I know how difficult it is to help newbies like me all the time with how hectic life is so I really appreciate your help!

• Like 1

I'm not sure I understood your instructions, so let me make sure I got it right before messing up my system lol.

Do you mean that I should first replace the "CLOVER" folder in EFI partition with the one that you just provided in the link and then use the kext utility app to install the kexts that are located inside CLOVER/kexts/other into my system/library/extension directory?

Then, which kexts should I remove and where are they located?

• Like 1

Ok, so I'll copy and paste all the kexts in S/L/E to CLOVER/kext/other. Then I will delete all kexts in S/L/E ? And before restarting I will run Kext Utility app so that the app rebuilds cache?

Is that sequence of events correct?

bro, only ur essencial kext, not oficial Apple Kexts

in my case is:

AppleALC.kext
FakeSMC.kext
IntelMausiEthernet.kext
Lilu.kext
NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext
USBInjectAll.kext
XHCI-x99-injector.kext

send me kextstat, run in terminal and post result here

Tried that but no luck :( 

Ah well, I guess I give up I don't have too much time to work on this due to work issues and I don't want to take more of your time, mas muito obrigado @MaLd0n por toda a ajuda, realmente aprecio todo o tempo que você tomou ajudando-me ;)

Embora, eu tenho outro pc com uma antiga placa gráfica integrada (HD2500, Intel Pentium G2020) que estou tentando fazer funcionar (tudo funciona exceto os drivers de vídeo; seems that HD2500 is not supported) so I might start another thread soon, mas essa é uma história para outro dia

obrigado novamente, adeusinho