ASUS H97M-Plus & GTX 1050 Ti, Clover installation. Success!

malgkas

26 posts in this topic

I would like to share with you all my successfully working clover configuration and files as well as some suggestion which may help you. It took me a while to make my PC working stable. However that would be rather short story. I hope you will find it useful. Let start from base configuration of the PC. - ASUS H97M-Plus Mainboard - Intel Core i5-4690K Processor (Haswell) - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB - Apple AirPort plus PCI-E x1 adapter.
Rest of components like memory, disk drives or optical drives are irrelevant so not listed, however separate disk drive is used for macOS installation. I’m using default BIOS setting with common changes you can find in every install Hackintosh guide. My hackintosh disk is connected as SATA1 channel, so for installation I need to disable other drivers in the BIOS. However is suggested to use SATA0 connector if possible. I used Clover EFI boot loader, with EmuVariableUefi-64.efi and OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi in drivers64UEFI section of installer.
EmuVariableUefi.efi is recommended as my Mainboard died twice with black screen (no POST) without it.

APFS.efi is required (to be copied to drivers64UEFI folder) if you are planning to install OSX High Sierra on SSD with APFS formatted partitions.
The file can be extracted from /Applications/Install macOS High Sierra/Contents/Shared Support/BaseSystem.dmg -> usr/standalone/i386/
I would not recommend using APSF formatted partitions as my OSX installation worked much slower.

To avoid conversion you can use this command from terminal:

for installation from USB:
sudo /Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --converttoapfs NO

for upgrade from existing system:
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --converttoapfs NO

Configuration file included has included some of the patches and removed serial number etc. Clover Configurator can be used to generate them for your PC. You need generate new SN in SmBIOS, new SmUUID.
Use iMac 15.1 definition.
PLEASE NOTE SSDT.AML not included, you need generate own using this script: https://github.com/Piker-Alpha/ssdtPRGen.sh

When creating USB for installation, do not use SSDT-PEG0.aml from NVidia@PEG0 folder as system will not boot with it.

Sound injection patch included is in two versions, layout 1 (standard) & 99 (for SPDIF output) - chose one.
I'm not using HDMI or DP cable but DVI, so HDMI/DP audio unchecked and as far I know Nvidia driver doesn’t support audio for Pascal family cards yet.

Procedure: 1. Install macOS from USB Flash Drive using one of two USB config files, (there are simpler, less patches) 2. After installation, install Clover, copy all required kexts, and Post Installation config file. Do not restart yet. 3. Install Nvidia driver and restart.
Tip: If you PC boot but hangs on denied sign try turn off and on PC and boot directly to USB flash drive instead booting anything else.
Tip2: If for some reason your PC stop posting during installation of OSX, try turn off PC, then disconnect all SATA cables, next power on PC. Now if it posts go to BIOS, reset settings to default and save, then turn off PC, re-connect SATA cables and setup BIOS again.

I believe those configuration files can be used with other ASUS H97/Z97 mainboards.

That would be all from me. Best luck with your build.
Post has been re-written on 2018.03.04 as well as all old versions and change logs removed.

ASUS-H97M-Plus-SSDT-20180304.zip Added flew Hot Patches and other options. System run better, more stable, no bigger issues found so far. Intel version removed as I wasn't able to test it. SSDT-USB.aml re-created using values from DSDT.aml dump - both EHCI & XHCI injected. Old SSDT-XHC.aml available as alternative option.
Bug fixes:
- fixed bug caused removable disks not to appear on desktop (removed "External icons patch")
- removed SSDT-XWAK.aml and Clover patch "change Method(XWAK,0,S) to ZWAK", replaced with hot patch FixWAK
- sound seem to disappear less frequently than before (AppleALC.kext updated, "Halt Enabler" enabled)

Alternative_iMac14.2_Minimal_USB_Install.zip is an alternative USB installation. Useful when other fails. However it uses iMac 14.2 Symbios.

ASUS-H97M-Plus-SSDT-20180304.zip

Alternative_iMac14.2_Minimal_USB_Install_20180304.zip

Edited by malgkas
  • Like 3

Hi,

Didn't enough time today but I did check some things.

Power Management look fine, actually same like before e.g. sleep works, shut down works. Unless you mean checking it somehow different.

USB works incorrectly all USB 2.0 connected devices are under USB 3.0 Hub not like before USB 2.0. 

I need some more time to dig out cables (HDMI & DisplayPort) to check audio. At the moment I don't any extra sound card in Sound Panel or Devices in system report on DVI cable.

AHCI seem work fine - controllers are detected properly without kext? Is this patched in DSDT.aml ?
What else is in DSDT? Can be this moved to SSDT instead?

Why would I need NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext for? I've read it helps with MacPro6.1 definition and other patches I don't understand.

Is MacPro6.1 any better definition than iMac14.2? for PC configuration like mine?

Thanks for your help, I'll try get back to you tomorrow.

post-1746549-0-83422000-1493841967_thumb.png

• Like 1

USB works incorrectly all USB 2.0 connected devices are under USB 3.0 Hub not like before USB 2.0. 

El Capo and Sierra, It's correct. ;) Test usb3 device, 5gb.

AHCI seem work fine - controllers are detected properly without kext? Is this patched in DSDT.aml ?
What else is in DSDT? Can be this moved to SSDT instead?

ofc

patches in DSDT

-FIX ERRORS AND WARNINGS
-HPET
-SATA
-SLPB
-EHCx
-DARWIN
-LPC
-XHCI
-HDEF
-RTC
-IRQs
-SBUS
-BUS1
-MCHC
-HDMI
-ALS0
-SHUTDOWN
-PNLF

SSDT only inject in DSDT, so, edit DSDT ;)

Why would I need NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext for? I've read it helps with MacPro6.1 definition and other patches I don't understand.

Is MacPro6.1 any better definition than iMac14.2? for PC configuration like mine?

Use iMac14,2 smbios

NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext fix black screen in many cases with Macpro6,1, iMac17, etc smbios ;)

iMac14,2 dont have problem, but if u use iMac15 e.g. use it

Check, is a good smbios for u

MaLd0n 2017-05-03 às 17.40.31.png

if u post one ioreg with ioreg explorer, File, Save as, i Apply more, like a real macs

IORegistryExplorer.app.zip

Hi,

I found some time and checked HDMI & DP audio but no luck. I can't see any related to hdmi sound output.

Also rebuild config it's merged yours and my to new one. New iMac 15.1 definition is used. All files updated and complete Clover folder attached.

Would you mind to tell how you patch DTST?? I can guess you're using MaciASL but this is something newer worked for me. I would be happy be able to do all my self in case changing anything in PC, something would require re-create DTST.

Thanks

iMacIOreg.7z

CLOVER.7z

• Like 1

Sorry for late replay but I was recovering my PC from clinical death. After I replaced clover folder with the last one OSX stoped loading. I tried couple time every time ending on denied sign and after couple trials PC stops booting. It was displaying only splash screen, no post, no access to BIOS. It's fine now but I downgraded bios and rebuild config file to make it bootable again. And also I removed DTST and SSDT from patched. I tried to use generated SSDT but when I selected drop oem OSX stop booting again.

So I was wondering. Maybe safer for my pure PC would be better to apply all patches in clover config file instead DSDT?

I managed to get it work again. The problem was VT-d turned on in BIOS. I forgot about that as it worked with enabled VT-d after installation.

Now it's iMac 15.1 again and seem to be stable. I can get to installer however sometime required is to load Windows and restart to installer again if doesn't boot. 

I've downgraded BIOS version from 2603 to 2503 and it seems to selecting boot device is less problematic.

I included two configs.
 One of it includes attempt to move all patches to clover config instead DSDT. Would you mind to look into that?

I think it might be better option for me as I change configuration often and all work might be ruined.

Clover is updated to latest version 4061.

iMac-15.1-CLOVER.7z

• Like 1

The DSDT is a fully patched, in Clover in have essencial patches only, but is good

if u can i edit DSDT with ur downgrade bios, just extract original with F4 in Clover boot screen

I used same version of clover from website. VT-d was enabled but I disabled it and tried again. Unfortunately didn't work either.

All work fine when *.aml removed from patched, kext AHCIInjector.kext added and both Generate *States enabled. Any ideas?

Thanks

CLOVER.7z

You're right, all seem to work. I removed USBInjectAll.kext & AHCIInjector.kext as well as "change EHCx to EH0x" patch. All USB's and AHCI works fine. Only GeForce HDMI Audio is missing but I don't realy care about it. I'm not using it at all.

Thank you for your help. Much appreciated.

I tried that. Firstly only DSDT, didn't work and later DSDT and new clover, didn't work either. Please see photo attached, maybe that will say anything more. I noticed that there is no much HDD activity when computer about to fail to boot. HDD reads only on beginning and then stops, after loading kernel and extensions perhaps?

Edit: I was searching for some answers and starting to think that clover.plist Patches and SSDT + SSDT Patches will easier to apply and more universal for everyone who would like to use those configs on similar PC configs. In this case add as much possible to clover.plist and rest to SSDT-* files (eg SATA/AHCI).

Would you mind to try this way? I really would prefer that - and only because that would be idiot (like my) prove. I attached example from Intel NUC to explain what I meant exactly.

Can you look to my config and amend it to apply all possible patches?

Thanks

post-1746549-0-83636500-1494362718_thumb.jpg

intel-nuc-patched.7z

config.plist.7z

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Finally I've found some time for digging and I have to say you ware right. Patched DSDT is the best way doing it.

I would love to be able to patch my self my PC's DSDT but I can't find where download all required patches you've listed in post above.

There is another thing which bothers me. How you know what patch to apply? Is there method to check this out?

Would you be able to drop a package with all required patches, including those you tried use to fix HDMI audio output?

I can try apply some fixes and check when it stops working.

Thanks